website statistics

Athletics 2020 Discussion Thread

Wumo

Kipchoge is going to lose, making this marathon interesting all of a sudden :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

This is the updated qualifying document

https://media.aws.iaaf.org/competitioninfo/59716a97-c681-4221-a5fd-6e5a782e3a78.pdf

EDIT

I just contacted my friend at World Atletics.

This is out of date and will be replaced.

Marathon qualification definitely did reopen in September

and the most bizarre marathon in history is over. Due strict covid-19 measures in the country Only 200 runners (164 M + 24 W), mainly slovaks, completed 10 full 4.2km laps in a special track in the city main street, without cameras and only very limited amount of spectators (mainly athletes relatives) :lol:

Logically we had a slovak winner after 21 years, Marek Hladík in new PB 2:26:08

6571397_1000x.jpeg?rev=2

6571388_1000x.jpeg?rev=2

6571384_1000x.jpeg?rev=2

3 hours ago, Dragon said:

This is the updated qualifying document

https://media.aws.iaaf.org/competitioninfo/59716a97-c681-4221-a5fd-6e5a782e3a78.pdf

EDIT

I just contacted my friend at World Atletics.

This is out of date and will be replaced.

Marathon qualification definitely did reopen in September

So, Zdziebło's result at Polish nationals in 20km race walk is valid and she officialy qualified?

23 hours ago, rybak said:

So, Zdziebło's result at Polish nationals in 20km race walk is valid and she officialy qualified?

Race Walks
• Performances for qualifying purposes may only be achieved on a course measured by a World Athletics/AIMS Grade “A” or “B” International Road Race Course Measurer with the measurement certificate established no more than 5 years before the date of the race.
• A minimum of 3 International or Area Race Walking Judges must be on duty.
• For International Competitions defined under World Athletics Rule 1.1 (i), or at National Competitions, Member Federations concerned must submit a specific application to World Athletics (Application Form available from World Athletics) before the race is conducted. Applications submitted for the IAAF World Athletics Championships Doha 2019 do not need to be submitted again.

Only if these rules were obeyed

16 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

50.99 in the women’s 400 for 17 year old Beatrice Masilingi from Namibia yesterday. Maybe Miller-Uibo has a new challenger?

Hmmm, if you factor in the altitude of Nairobi it's worth 51.40 which is still good but it does mean she will have to improve at least 2.5 seconds to challenge Miller-Uibo

Another special event tomorrow evening (20:30 UK) - the NN Valencia World Record day.  Featuring Joshua Cheptegui :UGA going for the men’s 10,000m & Letesenbet Gidey :ETH going for the women’s 5,000m.  Presumably specially choreographed with pacemakers, flashing lights etc.