website statistics

Athletics 2020 Discussion Thread

Wumo

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Yeah, but we mustn't forget how athletics program usually moves along at snail pace. With all the waiting involved, 6-7 heats of 800 m take about 50 minutes or something. :facepalm:

Try keeping the times a secret for that long...

Hence my doubts about how realistic that would be. I can see the DQ's 'for knowing a prior result' coming in already :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, dcro said:

Yeah, but we mustn't forget how athletics program usually moves along at snail pace. With all the waiting involved, 6-7 heats of 800 m take about 50 minutes or something. :facepalm:

Try keeping the times a secret for that long...

Morning qualification, empty stadium, all the Dutch team have to do for the 800m quals is have a guy in an orange shirt sitting on the crown of bend hold up a sign saying 5, 6 or whatever and they’d know that qual time is 1:45....

2 hours ago, NearPup said:

Can’t wait for “innovative” Olympics formats, such as the Marathon being decided by a 100m sprint among the first 8 athletes to finish the Marathon.

And among those 8 athletes have to be at least one athlete of each skin colour, different religion and LGBT person :d 

Edit: Of course for keeping equality ;) 

Last regular live track meet of the season from Nairobi :KEN tomorrow.*  Hope there’s some kind of crowd, Kenyan home fans are always mad keen.

https://www.worldathletics.org/news/news/how-follow-2020-continental-tour-gold

There’s also the London Marathon on Sunday, don’t know what coverage is like internationally, but it’s all on the BBC.

* There’s a special all-distance meet from Valencia on Wednesday, also.

10 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

There’s also the London Marathon on Sunday, don’t know what coverage is like internationally, but it’s all on the BBC.

Do you have an entry list for that race? I couldn't find it anywhere. During this event runners can qualify to Olympics?

3 minutes ago, rybak said:

Do you have an entry list for that race? I couldn't find it anywhere. During this event runners can qualify to Olympics?

The qualification period doesn't recommence until 1st December, so the answer to your last question is no. Next year's London marathon will count towards qualification though.