website statistics

Athletics 2020 Discussion Thread

Wumo

On 31/07/2020 at 09:02, Grassmarket said:

Looks like a very good meet coming up on Saturday from Trieste.  Lots of big names in action, some for the first time this year.  International events start 17:30 Euro 16:30 UK 

https://www.triestecafe.it/it/news/il-comune-di-trieste-informa/sabato-al-grezar-il-xiii-triveneto-international-meeting-memorial-jack-benvenuti-30-luglio-2020.html

Live on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/atleticaitaliana

it looks that it's not Van Niekerk himself to have covid-19, but one of the members of the small South African team training in Gemona (near Trieste) in this period...

therefore, it's well possible that all the SA athletes announced at the start of today's meet won't be able to participate (even if they're desperately trying to save at least Van niekerk's presence, by isolating him from the rest of the team and making him a second test this morning after the one he sustained last night (no news about the result of that one, yet)...

by the way, today on one of the main Italian newspapers (La Repubblica), they published a beautiful interview with Van Niekerk...

of course it's in Italian, but google translate should do a decent work also for those who don't speak our language, though...

https://www.repubblica.it/sport/vari/2020/07/31/news/intervista_van_niekerk-263377058/?ref=RHPPTP-BS-I263367605-C12-P12-S2.4-T1

back to today's meet in Trieste, this is the schedule of events (all times CET, in UK -1 hour, in the US East Coast, -6 hours) with the most notable athletes on paper in each event:

17.35: Women's 100m (Heats) - Tatjana Pinto (GER)
18.05: Men's 100m (Heats) - Marcell Jacobs (ITA), Sean Safi-Antwo (GHA)
18.15: Men's Triple Jump - Pablo Torrijos (ESP)
18.25: Men's Pole Vault - Thiago Braz (BRA)
18.40: Men's Shot Put - Leonardo Fabbri (ITA)
18.50: Men's 110HS - Andrew Pozzi (GBR) and all the best Italians (Lorenzo Perini, Hassane Fofana, Paolo Dal Molin)
19:00: Women's 100HS - Luminosa Bogliolo & Elisa Di Lazzaro (ITA), Katharina Johnson-Thompson (GBR)
19:00: Women's High Jump - Elena Vallortigara & Alessia Trost (ITA)
19.10: Women's 800m - Laura Muir & Jemma Reekie (GBR), Renelle Lamote (FRA), Selina Buechel (SUI)
19.25: Men's Long Jump - Filippo Randazzo (ITA)
19.25: Men's 100m (Final)
19.35: Women's 100m (Final)
19.45: Women's 400m - Raphaela Lukudo (ITA)
20.00: Men's 400m - Luka Janezic (SLO), Samuel Garcia (ESP)

and waiting news about Van Niekerk and the other South Africans and their covid-19 tests...

If anyone is interested in Baltic athletics, today the U18 and U20 Baltic championships start.

The rules are pretty simple, two Lithuanians, two Estonians and two Latvians start in every single discipline for both U18 and U20 categories and score points for their team that will be tallied up in the end to see which country wins. 

The youtube livestream can be found here: and the official start is 15:00 GTM+3 (in three hours from now)

There will also be real time live results on the sportify app with the password baltic2020

Personally, I never skip this event, but I have to leave at 16:00 :/ I'm definitely watching all of the second day, that will start at 11:00 GTM+3 tomorrow (gonna drop a livestream link too, if anyone is actually interested :p )

10 minutes ago, Werloc said:

If anyone is interested in Baltic athletics, today the U18 and U20 Baltic championships start.

The rules are pretty simple, two Lithuanians, two Estonians and two Latvians start in every single discipline for both U18 and U20 categories and score points for their team that will be tallied up in the end to see which country wins. 

The youtube livestream can be found here: and the official start is 15:00 GTM+3 (in three hours from now)

There will also be real time live results on the sportify app with the password baltic2020

Personally, I never skip this event, but I have to leave at 16:00 :/ I'm definitely watching all of the second day, that will start at 11:00 GTM+3 tomorrow (gonna drop a livestream link too, if anyone is actually interested :p )

There is one combined ranking for both age category? 

1 minute ago, Gianlu33 said:

Sadly sportify isn't available in Italy :( Any possible alternative livescore? :P

Probably not, I doubt that the Latvian or Estonian federations decide to run their own live results on their athletics page if there's already a deal with Spotify.

Why isn't it available in Italy? :(

8 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Probably not, I doubt that the Latvian or Estonian federations decide to run their own live results on their athletics page if there's already a deal with Spotify.

Why isn't it available in Italy? :(

Apparently i mistake to write and i lunch, with some shady VPN, an Indonesian app :wall:

Luckily Sportity is available in Italy :cheer: