website statistics

Athletics 2020 Discussion Thread

Wumo

2 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Athletics in the 2020s will be a repeat of the 1990s.  We already have Fiona May’s daughter, Erki Nool’s son, Virgilius Alekna’s two sons, Tomas Dvorak’s twin daughters....

Oh, I thought in terms of insane results (although then the 1980s would have been better now that I think about it) due to the whole COVID-19 thing messing up the regular doping control system :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Rare strong performance by a Dutch athlete in the 400m hurdles. Femke Bol ran 53,79 and broke the old (1998) Dutch record by nearly a second. She already ran 54,47 two weeks ago, but with only one opponent that wasn't recognized, today she had two opponents and that's the minimum requirement :p 

77d0258a-c8f3-11ea-98c0-02d2fb1aa1d7.jpg

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Monzanator said:

53,79? That's faster than Polish NR from 2007 (53,86) :p

And in the past 4,5 years - that's one Olympics and two WCh's - only eleven women were faster worldwide. It's really quite something :p 

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And in the past 4,5 years - that's one Olympics and two WCh's - only eleven women were faster worldwide. It's really quite something :p 

Makes me wonder how long until Femke Bol replaces Dafne Schippers as the new Dutch #1 in athletics? :p

Good thing she's not Russian, otherwise we'd have doping accusations running around now :evil:

26 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Makes me wonder how long until Femke Bol replaces Dafne Schippers as the new Dutch #1 in athletics? :p

Good thing she's not Russian, otherwise we'd have doping accusations running around now :evil:

Yeah, it's not like we don't have that running around about Schippers :lol: 

She can replace Schippers right now for all I care, she is infinitely more likeable. Then again, the 400m hurdles isn't the 100m or 200m and so won't get the same kind of attention for a long time, unless Bol really pulls out amazing stuff.

20 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

Incredible time by Bol! And like Heywoodu said, a really likeable athlete in the interviews I've seen.

Everyone seems likeable when not spoiled by media attention. Somehow I feel like Schippers was far more liked when she beat her 800m PB by 7 seconds to win that heptathlon bronze in Moscow 2013 IIRC? :p

16 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Everyone seems likeable when not spoiled by media attention. Somehow I feel like Schippers was far more liked when she beat her 800m PB by 7 seconds to win that heptathlon bronze in Moscow 2013 IIRC? :p

Schippers went from pretty normal/quite nice (in terms of how she came across) to absolute diva basically the minute she switched to full-time sprinting, yes.