website statistics

Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympic Games 2016 News

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

In general, I don't know if I like this so much...I wish all medal ceremonies would be sort of formal. Not formal like without smiling of course, but formal in the sense that it's clear this is the big stage, not some funky hip-hop local street competition. 

Completely agree, it's like they want to create some X Games atmosphere or whatnot. And just this segregation of sports into "traditional", "popular" and "cool" sports is a complete crap in my opinion. :facepalm:

But this various popular music for various events is just another thing that organizers have done to make this Olympics less traditional... Among other things, they have put ceremonies outside of athletics stadium (and I assume that means there will be no Olympic flame in athletics stadium, very sad...), they had to put blue track for athletics and so on..

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Completely agree, it's like they want to create some X Games atmosphere or whatnot. And just this segregation of sports into "traditional", "popular" and "cool" sports is a complete crap in my opinion. :facepalm:

But this various popular music for various events is just another thing that organizers have done to make this Olympics less traditional... Among other things, they have put ceremonies outside of athletics stadium (and I assume that means there will be no Olympic flame in athletics stadium, very sad...), they had to put blue track for athletics and so on..

I don't care about blue track to be honest...what I find the most important things when it comes to formalities are these:

- Medal ceremonies right after the event, so the emotion is still there, the athletes are still tired instead of a day later when the emotion has passed

- The same music for all ceremonies, so you really get this "Olympic feeling" with every ceremony

- Medal ceremonies at the venue where the medals were won

The clothes that the medal presenters are wearing...I couldn't care less :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Australian athletes arrived at the Olympic Village and have moved back out to hotels, because conditions are "unliveable"...toilets barely flush, showers flood the rooms and so on. Wonderful start.. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

hace 7 minutos, hckosice said:

Slovak athletes will live in one of the Olympic Village building with the Czechs. just read it, absolutely lovely news :d

Awesome. I was living in the Netherlands during Sochi and one of my finest memories of the games is being invited to watch the Slovakia vs Czech Rep game with people from both countries (a Canadian guy and myself were the only neutrals). I was expecting a lot of vitriol and instead it was extremely friendly. Velvet divorce indeed.

Edited by carivan

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Australian athletes arrived at the Olympic Village and have moved back out to hotels, because conditions are "unliveable"...toilets barely flush, showers flood the rooms and so on. Wonderful start.. 

our vanguard is already a few days in Rio and according to a few reports I noticed, everything is fine (at least in our building). they actually just tweaked some finishing touches. like installing flags and carpets throughouth the wole slovak bulidng part :p

13754198_1204342816277694_65868426324659

12 minutes ago, carivan said:

Awesome. I was living in the Netherlands during Sochi and one of my finest memories of the games is being invited to watch the Slovakia vs Czech Rep game. I was expecting a lot of vitriol and instead it was extremely friendly. Velvet divorce indeed.

ah cool, :) well you hardly can find something much more important in this world than SVK - CZE hockey match is :d

yeah divorce...well,  except hockey matches we still feel that we are like the same nation,:d  no. it´s hard to explain, but big majority of peoples there and here still regard us like two brothers, which few retarded politicians tried to convince that they can´t be together. the problem is that this bunch of corrupted bastards managed to split us without asking anyone if we agree, no referendum, nothing, just hey peoples give us few minutes of your attention! since next year we will be 2 independant countries. yipee !  ....