website statistics

Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympic Games 2016 News

Em 04/07/2016 at 02:55, LDOG disse:

I still want to know if the medal ceremony music is known already or not.

Traditional, popular or cool... Rio 2016 to have three styles of medal ceremonies

Traditional, popular or cool – which one are you? Your answer could define which sports you find yourself watching at the Rio 2016 Games, when for the first time in Olympic history the athletes will receive their medals at three different types of victory ceremonies, according to the style of sport.

Each ceremony will also have its own music (hear them below), as Christy Nicolay, executive producer of sport presentations, explained. "For the first time ever we have three different styles of victory ceremonies," said the American. "This is my eighth Olympic Games and I've always wanted to do this. And music in Brazil is so amazing that's it's a great opportunity to show that.

"There are so many sports in the summer Olympics and some of them are so different. For example the music at gynmnastics would be very different to BMX, or beach volleyball would be very different to fencing. So we wanted three different styles of ceremonies."

The ceremonies for the 'tradtional' sports – which include equestrian and fencing – will be more fomal, close to a classical style, as will be the uniforms of the medal presenters uniforms, who will wear jackets.

Medal winners in 'popular' sports – which include basketball and volleyball – will receive their gongs to pop music, with the presenters wearing jackets with an orange stripe.

The 'cool' kids – who include those radical dudes in BMX, mountain bike, beach volleyball – will be awarded their medals to the sound of Brazilian funk music, a blend hip-hop and electro, by jacketless presenters with their sleeves rolled up.

Each piece of music was produced by Nicolay and composer Alex de Faria.

TRADITIONAL

POPULAR

COOL

So if I get it right:

Cool --> every "modern" sport added to the program in the last 30 years

Popular --> Highest ratings, Athletics, Swimming, Gymnastics, Football, Basketball, Volleyball

Traditional --> everything else

??

The Archer Alexandra Longová and Pistol shooter Pavol Kopp passed today (on Saturday July, 23rd) in the name of the whole Slovak Olympic team the solemn oath before the President of the Slovak Republic Andrej Kiska in Bratislava. 

Video: Slovenskí olympionici zložili sľub u prezidenta SR

24 out of the 52 Qualified and Selected Athletes were present at the official ceremony, All athletes received participating decrees, the others athletes will receive them later in Rio.

The first part of the team, Athletes competing in the first week will travel to Rio tomorrow.

Sľub olympionikov pre OH 2016 v Brazílii

Here the 25 minutes video of the ceremony link the oath is at 11:15 to go

On 7/23/2016 at 03:39, LDOG said:

So if I get it right:

Cool --> every "modern" sport added to the program in the last 30 years

Popular --> Highest ratings, Athletics, Swimming, Gymnastics, Football, Basketball, Volleyball

Traditional --> everything else

??

I don't think they put very much thought into this...they just used some stereotypes

If one should try to think logically, then the answers would probably be:

Traditional - the oldest sports in Olympic schedule

Popular - sports that are somehow new but reach the highest ratings

Cool - every so-called sport added to the program in the last 30 years for the sake of "diversity", but doesn't have 1000 fans worldwide

Edited by zob79

1 hour ago, zob79 said:

I don't think they put very much thought into this...they just used some stereotypes

If one should try to think logically, then the answers would probably be:

Traditional - the oldest sports in Olympic schedule

Popular - sports that are somehow new but reach the highest ratings

Cool - every so-called sport added to the program in the last 30 years for the sake of "diversity", but doesn't have 1000 fans worldwide

I don't think any sport that was added in the last 30 years has less than 1000 fans ;)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

In general, I don't know if I like this so much...I wish all medal ceremonies would be sort of formal. Not formal like without smiling of course, but formal in the sense that it's clear this is the big stage, not some funky hip-hop local street competition. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!