website statistics

Football 2020 Discussion Thread

Henry_Leon

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Some potentially big news here:

Nah, that's only a temporary thing. Not much of a big deal I guess, although I'd be in favour of keeping that possible new rules in place anyway. Then again, that just gives the richer teams even more chances :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I’m surprised that 5 subs are a thing in Euro. Once you’re at U10 level and above it’s 3 subs in all leagues in the US.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

31 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’m surprised that 5 subs are a thing in Euro. Once you’re at U10 level and above it’s 3 subs in all leagues in the US.

It's even 6 or 7 subs in the seventh or eight tier here in Poland. And clubs have put this idea forward themselves. You have to remember most of these players here in the lower tiers have full-time jobs along with playing soccer.

I believe in England they introduced rolling subs (like in ice hockey) below Tier 7 of non-league & U-17 competitions like 5 years ago already.

20 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's even 6 or 7 subs in the seventh or eight tier here in Poland. And clubs have put this idea forward themselves. You have to remember most of these players here in the lower tiers have full-time jobs along with playing soccer.

I believe in England they introduced rolling subs (like in ice hockey) below Tier 7 of non-league & U-17 competitions like 5 years ago already.

That sounds way too intelligent for the US.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

The status of soccer in USA is nowhere near what it is in Europe :p

There’s still millions of players, and thousands of leagues though. The structure is much worse, athlete development model is worse, management and coaching is worse, it costs more to play, and pay is worse for those who do make it far.

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

In Italy we have 9 tier, and every tier (expect Serie A and B) are divided into groups. 

For example, the last pro league (3rd tier) have 60 teams into 3 group, the 4th league have 173 teams into 9 group and is divided into interregional group.

On 24/04/2020 at 12:31, thepharoah said:

German federation wants to resume Bundesliga by May 10th but they're waiting for Government Confirmation 

I think it's May 9th ... ?

Apparently the plan is to test all the people who are going to be in the stadium before every game, which would mean that they need roughly 20k tests to finish the season.

Some people in Germany said that they couldn't do it, because other people need the tests more, but from what i can tell Germany currently can test 800k to 850k people a week and there are a lot of free capacities (not surprising when you only have 1000 - 2000 new infections every day), so they wouldn't take anything away from anyone. It has been said that the Bundesliga would lose around 700 million € if they would end the season now, so economically speaking it for sure would be great news if they could finish the season.

Aren't you a fan of Bayern Munich? If that's the case ... how do you feel about possible signings for the new season (Upamecano, Sane, Dest)?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I think every professional league should be able to finish their season, with maybe the exception of Italy. France, Belgium, Netherlands jumped the gun.. Even if they start in june, there is enough time to finish by the beginning of august. Having football matches in empty stadiums isn't that much more dangerous like every other economic measure the countries are going to allow in the next few weeks. Like having restaurants, schools, malls, parks, tourism travel all open to the public.