website statistics

Winter Deaflympics 2019

Olympian1010

3 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

That's the first time I'm not able to translate anything from our athletes to you :) I can only say, that last month they weren't in such a good mood :p Now I'm keeping my fingrers crossed for them, so that this weekend we could say to everybody during next leg of the league, that we are the ones who beat the Deaflympics ___ medalists (the empty place to fill in with a color).

Odds of a medal are slim to none I’d say, but you never know...

Bronze might be doable.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

If it’s any consolation @Fly_like_a_don for :IND missing the 2020 YOG, they did send a few skiers here. However, it wouldn’t say their results were noteworthy for a good reason. It’s still good to see them amongst the results though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

If it’s any consolation @Fly_like_a_don for :IND missing the 2020 YOG, they did send a few skiers here. However, it wouldn’t say their results were noteworthy for a good reason. It’s still good to see them amongst the results though.

Thats not a problem. But I'm more interested to know what happened to Nepal

4 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Thats not a problem. But I'm more interested to know what happened to Nepal

They may have sent a chess player, but I haven’t seen them in any of the ski results I’ve looked at.

@Vojthas Poland lost to China in the semifinals, and will play Finland for the bronze medal.

Two classic ice hockey matches for the medals tomorrow:

Bronze: :RUS v. :FIN

Gold: :CAN v. :USA

Just now, Vojthas said:

I'm heading the rink right now to teach a few deafs a little bit of curling. I have plans for them, but they don't know it yet. Where are the next Deaflympics?

I’d be more surprised if there’s any Deaflympics in the near future given the complete state of anarchy the ICSD was in until recently. I don’t thing they’ve even choose a host for the 2021 Summer Deaflympics yet...

The next Winter Deaflympics would be in 2023 (and they’ll probably happen because I believe the ICSD is under better leadership now).

Also, wouldn’t recommend referring to your students as “the deafs”, just a suggestion. As a speech writer, I’d never let anyone with credibility use that. I think either deaf athletes, or just athletes would be better. 

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’d be more surprised if there’s any Deaflympics in the near future given the complete state of anarchy the ICSD was in until recently. I don’t thing they’ve even choose a host for the 2021 Summer Deaflympics yet...

The next Winter Deaflympics would be in 2023 (and they’ll probably happen because I believe the ICSD is under better leadership now).

Also, wouldn’t recommend referring to your students as “the deafs”, just a suggestion. As a speech writer, I’d never let anyone with credibility use that. I think either deaf athletes, or just athletes would be better. 

Well, maybe that's the matter of language. In Polish they seem to take this word as totally neutral. The word that is offensive for them is deafmute, which probably most of us (for example me until yesterday) think it's the polite way.