website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA European Championship 2021

hckošice

We lost to Italy by only 10 points. Honestly it should've been closer but at the end we kept fouling them when it was obvious that the game was over (we needed to win by +15 anyways in order to advance), thus allowing them to increase the margin on free throws. Yeah, Italy actually made their free throws (19/22) unlike us (10/17)...

Once again Nikolopoulou plays for 35+ minutes. For absolutely no reason. Once again she was totally useless. For an "experienced" player, she has zero basketball IQ. She's actually so bad. She must have a great agent because I have no idea how she gets so much playing time when we have other guards who are better and younger. Like Pavlopoulou, who only played 12 minutes today...and it would've been nice to see Tsineke play more than 3 minutes, especially since she scored twice during her limited time.

I'm happy that Stamolamprou at least got to play (she was injured and missed our last game) and showed that as a guard she belongs in the starting lineup. She scored 23 points and played an unbelievable game.

17 yo Bosgana finally got a lot of playing time and she did very well, great defensively and also scored 13 points. Shame she missed a bunch of free throws but really happy she played a lot as I had been asking for that the past few days. Too little too late for now but a very positive sign for the future.

And Spanou playing 37 minutes today. I have no words. I used to defend her when others would criticize her but really she is not that good and we need to stop trusting her so much. She had 10 turnovers today! Almost as many as the whole Italian team combined. Like Nikolopoulou, she's another "experienced" player with zero basketball IQ.

I can't wait for the starting lineup one day to include two of Stamolamprou, Pavlopoulou, Tsineke as guards, Christinaki SF, Bosgana PF and Fasoula C. That will be such a great team but unfortunately for now our coach insists on Nikolopoulou and Spanou starting every game. I still think we can make Paris 2024. All these young girls will be two years older during Eurobasket 2023, and with Christinaki and Spyridopoulou back from injury we can dream big.

43 minutes ago, Belle said:

SWEDEN :thumbup:  :clap:

congrats! :yes ;)

but tbh, I just can't believe we could get so low in the level of play...

I'm truly disgusted by the lack of talent and above all, the lack of pride and winning mentality of this team...

I think our NOC should stop funding women's basketball and send these girls all around the world to ashame our Flag...:facepalm: :hairpull: :thumbdown:

I have watched, played and now coaching basketball my entire life and honestly I've never seen bigger attempt of stealing a win like this one tonight. To do such thing in a European championships quarterfinal, I don't have words honestly.