website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA European Championship 2021

hckošice

Greece was so bad today. It was painful to watch. 1/11 from 3 points, just a horrible stat. Complete opposite of the Maltsi/Kaltsidou/Dimitrakou days.

We have a very limited team as Eleanna Christinaki (arguably our best player) is out due to injury as well as Anna Spyridopoulou (our best shooter). But today was worse than expected. We are already going to be eliminated in this phase so I'd like to see some changes for the next two games:

1. Spanou needs to stop shooting 3s. She does it all the time and misses like 90% of them. Today she was 0/4.

2. Bosgana and Tsineke need to play more. They barely played today, and for what reason? Both play on top American NCAA college teams. They are the future of our national team and their development over the next few years will play a big role in whether or not we qualify for Paris 2024 (yes I think there is a big chance if everyone is healthy especially since our team is so young).

3. Pavlopoulou and Stamolamprou need to be the starting guards, not Nikolopoulou. I know Nikolopoulou scored 19 points today but it was a fluke. She never scores a lot of points. Always all she does is make wild turnovers all the time and somehow she is still in the starting lineup after so many years. I don't understand. She's already 30 years old too. Pavlopoulou and Stamolamprou are the future (and they are better shooters too, clearly we need good shooters if we are 1/11 as a team from 3 points). Nikolopoulou can play from off the bench but not as a starter.

4. Keep two of Fasoula/Spanou/Sotiriou/Bosgana on the court at all times. We struggle to get rebounds and it doesn't help when the coach only has one tall girl on the court at certain times.

I understand that we are very limited with options because we lack depth especially with key players being injured this year (also another one of our young stars Ioanna Chatzileonti can't play this year either) so I don't want to sound too critical, but today's game was really winnable. Montenegro let us back in the game in the 4th and we started missing easy shots, Spanou going for desperate 3s that she was never going to make, and Nikolopoulou with all of her stupid turnovers.

No surprise we got destroyed by Serbia. Crazy that we actually beat them at Eurobasket 2017 but we only had four players from that 2017 Greek team playing today.

I didn't see the game today, but happy that our 17 year old Eleni Bosgana got to play 20 minutes and scored 9 points. I wish she played more yesterday. There's obviously a reason why she's going to Stanford this year, the team that won the NCAA women's championship.

Tsineke only played 7 minutes but at least she scored 6 points. No idea why Stamolamprou didn't play, I guess injury, but surely Tsineke should've played more when you had other guards like Diela (22 minutes) and Alexandri (16 minutes) playing so much when they did nothing based on the stats.

Also at least we made some 3s (5/13) unlike yesterday (1/11).

I'm surprised Serbia has a naturalized American. I thought they were better than that. Shame. :cry:

8 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

No surprise we got destroyed by Serbia. Crazy that we actually beat them at Eurobasket 2017 but we only had four players from that 2017 Greek team playing today.

I didn't see the game today, but happy that our 17 year old Eleni Bosgana got to play 20 minutes and scored 9 points. I wish she played more yesterday. There's obviously a reason why she's going to Stanford this year, the team that won the NCAA women's championship.

Tsineke only played 7 minutes but at least she scored 6 points. No idea why Stamolamprou didn't play, I guess injury, but surely Tsineke should've played more when you had other guards like Diela (22 minutes) and Alexandri (16 minutes) playing so much when they did nothing based on the stats.

Also at least we made some 3s (5/13) unlike yesterday (1/11).

I'm surprised Serbia has a naturalized American. I thought they were better than that. Shame. :cry:

Not that i like naturalisation of players but its inevitable, as it seams. 

Serbia just dont have better player on her position. Without her, results would suffer. 

Knowing that women sports are still unpopular in Serbia, maybe this was a way to popularise it. 

At least mens team wont have naturalised players.

11 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Not that i like naturalisation of players but its inevitable, as it seams. 

Serbia just dont have better player on her position. Without her, results would suffer. 

Knowing that women sports are still unpopular in Serbia, maybe this was a way to popularise it. 

At least mens team wont have naturalised players.

Yes that is true, but I remember the great Serbian women's team in 2015 and I'm pretty sure they didn't have any Americans back then?

I used to respect Serbia a lot for being one of the few countries (especially in the Balkans) that didn't naturalize anyone in men's or women's basketball, but now I guess Greece is the only one who still doesn't do that (Tyler Dorsey had a Greek grandfather so he doesn't count, also his mother was born in Greece I think)

5 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Yes that is true, but I remember the great Serbian women's team in 2015 and I'm pretty sure they didn't have any Americans back then?

I used to respect Serbia a lot for being one of the few countries (especially in the Balkans) that didn't naturalize anyone in men's or women's basketball, but now I guess Greece is the only one who still doesn't do that (Tyler Dorsey had a Greek grandfather so he doesn't count, also his mother was born in Greece I think)

I understand you completelly. 

Even though its not a popular opinion, i am still happy to see nations that do not import athletes just to win a medal. Like Sweden in table tennis or Greece in many sports. 

Serbia DID have a foreign born player in 2015. Its Danielle Page. She played in Rio too.