website statistics

Taekwondo WTE Extra European Championships 2019

phelps

every time I open the PDF drawsheet for a Taekwondo competition, I see another Iranian competing for somewhere else :d this time Ehsan Naghibzadeh for the refugee team !!! he even represented Iran in 2013 World Champs (and didn't medal)

and two other guys I was already aware of, Ali Noghandoost and Amir Hosseini. and if we count Dina Pouryounes. there are 4 Iranians competing for "refugee team" only in the first day of the competition :facepalm: I wonder how many others are waiting for the next 2 days.

I think if I start to count, there are something like 20 or maybe more Iranians representing other countries (or the refugee team) right now, and I'm not talking about people with Iranian heritage growing up in those countries. all of these guys raised in Iran and most (if not all) of them represented Iran at least in a Youth/Junior international competition. unbelievable ! and none of them are real "refugees" (they are lying opportunists) but if they are, Iran should be #1 country in term of "taekwondo athletes" right violation !! :d:facepalm: but this is disgusting WT is easily letting them to participate for the refugee team (some of them aren't refugees, not even on paper) and even sometimes steal medals from European athletes. :thumbdown:

but maybe this Naghibzadeh can do something good for his own country, if he beats Israel in the first round (it's funny, isn't it ?) he will face Achab (Belgium) in the second round, eliminating Achab will be a big favor to our 68kg Hosseini in the Olympic ranking. even though I don't think nowadays Naghibzadeh is any good but we will see.

all of those fake refugees lost in their first matches and it was funny this time Israel didn't show up against the Iranian athlete :d

Achab winning the gold was the worst possible news, but 63kg is weak in Europe and it was expected. let's see what Perez can do tomorrow, if he reaches the final that will put Hosseini out of top 6 :(

at 58, I think DellAquila secured his Olympic quota, in this weight, South Korea, Russia, Iran and Italy are safe.

once every while, also Italy make the home field advantage count...:p

by the way, here's a quick recap of today's medallists...

women's -49kg
Gold: :TUR Rukiye Yildirim
Silver: :GER Ela Aydin
Bronze: :CYP Kyriaki Kouttouki & :RUS Elizaveta Ryadninskaya

women's -53kg
Gold: :RUS Tatiana Kudashova
Silver: :TUR Zeliha Agris
Bronze: :SRB Tijana Bogdanovic & :FRA Yasmina Aziez

men's -58kg
Gold: :ITA Vito Dell'Aquila
Silver: :IRL Jack Woolley
Bronze: :ESP Jesus Tortosa Cabrera & :AZE Gashim Magomedov

men's -63kg
Gold: :BEL Jaouad Achab
Silver: :CRO Lovre Brecic
Bronze: :HUN Levente Jozsa & :ESP Marcos Caballero

Folks, what type of championship is this? I don’t think it’s a ‘European Championship’ as they’re usually every 2 years? The word extra there is throwing me. 

:IRL Jack Woolley is Ireland’s only really international class fighter here. Nice to see him medal from 4th seed

he just missed out on 2016 Olympics (losing in semi of final qualifier) but he’s been consistently in top 10 ranks since so fingers crossed

1 hour ago, dodge said:

Folks, what type of championship is this? I don’t think it’s a ‘European Championship’ as they’re usually every 2 years? The word extra there is throwing me. 

:IRL Jack Woolley is Ireland’s only really international class fighter here. Nice to see him medal from 4th seed

he just missed out on 2016 Olympics (losing in semi of final qualifier) but he’s been consistently in top 10 ranks since so fingers crossed

Taekwondo wasn't part of the European Games. so this is an EXTRA European Championship to make up for that in the World Ranking. in short this is not a real European Championship but a very important tournament for the World Ranking with 40pts up for grab for the gold medalists.

and one can say if European Taekwondo Union can't or don't want to put taekwondo into the European Games maybe they don't deserve to have a Grade-4 tournament instead.