website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread

Olympian1010

5 minutes ago, Dolby said:

Indian national anthem “Jana Gana Mana” is in Hindi. Our national song “Vande Matram” is in Bengali. Maybe you can share the link to the video to the version you are referring to. 

This is honestly is my favorite rendition of any national anthem. While India’s anthem is probably like my 5th favorite, this edition is my favorite recording of a national anthem. It’s also 100 times better than what was performed at the 2010 Commonwealth Games ceremony. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Do the Kurds speak Arabic (maybe @MHSN would be better to ask)? Because when I listen to interviews it doesn’t sound like Arabic. I actually sounds closer to Hebrew or Parsi.

They speak their own language which is Kurdish, totally different than Arabic, also different than Persian. when I'm listening to Kurdish I understand some words but I don't understand the sentence , I think the numbers are the same as Persian at least

my closest friend at college was Kurdish and whenever he met another Kurdish guy at university while walking or something they would switch to Kurdish and I had absolutely no idea what they are talking about :d

they are too proud of their language, which I totally understand and respect and when a Kurdish-Iranian speak Persian I can easily understand because of the accent.

Edited by MHSN

Just now, MHSN said:

They speak their own language which is Kurdish, totally different than Arabic, also different than Persian. when I'm listening to Kurdish I understand some words but I don't understand the sentence , I think the numbers are the same as Persian at least

my closest friend at college was Kurdish and whenever he met another Kurdish guy at university while walking or something they would switch to Kurdish and I had absolutely no idea what they are talking about :d

they are too proud of their language, which I totally understand and respect and when a Kurdish-Iranian speak Persian I can easily understand because of the accent.

Yeah it sounds very unique. It’s think it’s a bit easier on the ears than Hebrew and Arabic variants. I still like Farsi the most out of any language in that region though. Do you know what language family Kurdish comes from?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah it sounds very unique. It’s think it’s a bit easier on the ears than Hebrew and Arabic variants. I still like Farsi the most out of any language in that region though. Do you know what language family Kurdish comes from?

no idea as you said it's unique, as far as II know ( and I can be wrong) the closest language to Kurdish is Persian and still Persian is not even close. I can assume Kurdish probably has the same roots as Persian.

PS: I think I told you guys in another thread that there is no such a thing as "Farsi" for you guys English speakers. Farsi is the word Persian in Persian language. I mean we call it Farsi but you shouldn't

16 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Isn’t your word for a straw (for a drink) the same words Colombians or Venezuelans use to describe a certain part of male anatomy?

you mean "popote"... probably, but I'm not sure about that one.

1 hour ago, thepharoah said:

For Arabic I think being the language of Quran holly book for Muslims' made much non Arab speakers know basics of Arabic language,  so people from Iran,  Pakistan, many  African countries especially chad has good base in Arabic language,  also Turkish people,  maybe Indonesians and Malaysians especially those who study here in AL Azhar university, Israel so I think Arabic is somehow spread language , ofc like every other language it varies from country to another,  Egyptians don't speak like Maghreb countries or people in Sham areas ( Palestine, Syria and Lebanon) and gulf countries, etc each ethnic groups has different way of expressing language but at the end of the day we understand each other 

I can say I understand the basic Arabic (probably more than just the basics) but that doesn't apply to everybody here. yes everybody has to learn some Arabic (in a very low level) at school but then almost everybody forgets it right after the school. (I was a good student and still remember everything :d and probably even learned more)

if you turn your TV in Iran and switch channels, 100% sure you will find at least 1-2 channels showing something in Arabic but it doesn't mean people understand it :d most of religious people just listen to Quran without understanding a word.

but beside that, we have Arabic speaking Iranians, I think for 2 million people Arabic is their first language and Persian comes second.

Edited by MHSN

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

no idea as you said it's unique, as far as II know ( and I can be wrong) the closest language to Kurdish is Persian and still Persian is not even close. I can assume Kurdish probably has the same roots as Persian.

PS: I think I told you guys in another thread that there is no such a thing as "Farsi" for you guys English speakers. Farsi is the word Persian in Persian language. I mean we call it Farsi but you shouldn't

But don’t people get insulted when we say Persian? What should I say?

I’ll have to do some research on Kurdish.

Just now, mrv86 said:

you mean "popote"... probably, but I'm not sure about that one.

Yep, good ole’ popote :p. You have a dirty mouth sir :finger: 

Edited by Olympian1010

20 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah I’ve picked up on that too. I find the Castilian (Spain) and Argentine Spanish the easiest to understand (accept that the Argentine almost have a different language really). The Latin Americans speak to fast for me, Chileans have too much of a lisp, and those in Caribbean have too much of a mix of language that makes their accent hard to understand  

Most Spanish speakers joke that Chileans don't talk in Spanish but in "Chilean". I can attest that when they speak solely in jargon, you can't barely identify a single word, and on ocassions, even the context of the conversation is missed.

Argentinians and Uruguayans have a slower pace, and as some point out, their rhythm and pronunciation are influenced by Italian immigration... their most disctintive mark is that their pronounciation of "y" as a "sh".

Caribbean Spanish is indeed very fast and tends to eliminate the last consonant or even the last sillable from most words.

I've been told by other Spanish speakers that we Mexicans tend to sing rather than speak, and that may be true with speakers in central and western Mexico (although never insult anyone outside Mexico City claiming we sound alike, cause you'll be cursed at must surely), but people in the North tend to "yell".