website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread

Olympian1010

I’m stuck learning Spanish :(

I want to learn something exotic like Icelandic, Cherokee, etc. but I just don’t have the time.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 3 weeks later...

@bmo @dezbee2008 @Rdbc @Quaker2001 I’d like to have a fun little exercise in language. If you guys could answer the questions below that’d be great. Answer the questions using the terms you’d use where you grew up, or that you used as kid, or that you use now. 

What do you call the road next to the highway?

What do you call the road where there is a set speed limit, but no traffic lights (at least a for a great distance)?

What do you call a large cat indigenous to the America’s?

What do you call the place where streets meet in a circle (where cars go around that circle)?

What do you call a fizzy sweet drink?

Do you use any gender neutral pronouns besides they?

What’s one thing unique (either word, phrase, pronunciation) about how people speak where you live?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@bmo @dezbee2008 @Rdbc @Quaker2001 I’d like to have a fun little exercise in language. If you guys could answer the questions below that’d be great. Answer the questions using the terms you’d use where you grew up, or that you used as kid, or that you use now. 

What do you call the road where there is a set speed limit, but no traffic lights (at least a for a great distance)?

What do you call the place where streets meet in a circle (where cars go around that circle)?

What’s one thing unique (either word, phrase, pronunciation) about how people speak where you live?

Service road

freeway

Bob cat??? (I have no clue)

roundabout

pop

don’t think so

nothing unique. Pretty normal people around here.

On 11/03/2020 at 14:27, Olympian1010 said:

What do you call the road next to the highway?  Side road? Don't think in Washington State we really had these

What do you call the road where there is a set speed limit, but no traffic lights (at least a for a great distance)? Freeway

What do you call a large cat indigenous to the America’s? Bobcat

What do you call the place where streets meet in a circle (where cars go around that circle)? Roundabout

What do you call a fizzy sweet drink? pop

Do you use any gender neutral pronouns besides they? no

What’s one thing unique (either word, phrase, pronunciation) about how people speak where you live? Hmmm... I think maybe we say "Bro" a lot more than the rest of the United States. Otherwise we pretty much don't have unique sayings. 

The :USA Embassy in Slovakia informed the public about the free online English language courses offered by the US Department of Foreign Affairs.

The courses are designed for intermediate and advanced level learners in various professional fields. Those interested can apply for many of them from today
https://americanenglish.state.gov/american-english-moocs.

Even in this difficult situation, we care that people spend their time at home effectively. We want to motivate them to use a variety of digital capabilities, such as e-learning. Also in the following days we will try to promote various educational, cultural or other activities that can be done from the comfort of home said the spokeperson of the US Embassy in Slovakia @Olympian1010

• 4 months later...

So is French widely used in Romania? I know both Romanian and French are Romantic languages, but do most Romanians know/use French? I noticed that mail flown from Romania has a sticker with both French/Romanian on it. Plus, Romania participates in the Jeux De La Francophonie. 

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

So is French widely used in Romania? I know both Romanian and French are Romantic languages, but do most Romanians know/use French? I noticed that mail flown from Romania has a sticker with both French/Romanian on it. Plus, Romania participates in the Jeux De La Francophonie. 

Made this joke before, but a Francophone nation is one where their aristocracy hired french-speaking nannies for their children.*

But yeah, ever since the birth of Romania as a country they have always looked to France as a cultural inspiration, so as not to be confused with all their mad Slav & Magyar neighbours.**

* Unfortunately they always ended up sleeping with the husband, so eventually got replaced with English ones.  This is exactly what happens in Anna Karenina.

** Although they use lots of Slav & Magyar words.