website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread

Olympian1010

On 28/12/2019 at 07:57, Olympian1010 said:

While doing research on Switzerland for the 2020 YOG, I came across Romansch. This has to be one of the most unique European languages I’ve seen. It’s really weird. It looks semi-German, but it also has a lot in common with the Romance languages. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll need to use any of it in our coverage since Lausanne is in the French speaking part of Switzerland. Maybe @Ustatsch can give me some more background on Romansch? (I already notice a similarity there :p)

Romansh is a romance language influenced by Swiss-German dialects. There are not a lot of Romansh speakers and it is only used in the canton (= state) of Graubünden. There are still some TV and radio stations that use it, but it is a dying language as in that region German or Italian and in the world English is a lot more useful.

19 minutes ago, Ustatsch said:

Romansh is a romance language influenced by Swiss-German dialects. There are not a lot of Romansh speakers and it is only used in the canton (= state) of Graubünden. There are still some TV and radio stations that use it, but it is a dying language as in that region German or Italian and in the world English is a lot more useful.

The government is trying to protect the language right? I also read that the community of speakers are undertaking efforts to protect it.

What’s Graubünden famous for by the way? I recognize that name, but I can’t figure out why. Oh wait, they had a failed Olympic bid for 2026 right?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The government is trying to protect the language right? I also read that the community of speakers are undertaking efforts to protect it.

What’s Graubünden famous for by the way? I recognize that name, but I can’t figure out why. Oh wait, they had a failed Olympic bid for 2026 right?

There are efforts to protecting it, and I think there are even some schools or at least kindergartens that are only in Romansh at the beginning.

Graubünden is the largest canton by area. It's also the only canton with three languages (German, Italian and Romansh). Since it's almost entiery in the Alps, it's mostly famous for it's ski resorts. St. Mortitz, Arosa and Davos are some of the most famous ones. And yes, they did hold a vote on the Olympic bid, however the people voted against it.

22 minutes ago, Ustatsch said:

There are efforts to protecting it, and I think there are even some schools or at least kindergartens that are only in Romansh at the beginning.

Graubünden is the largest canton by area. It's also the only canton with three languages (German, Italian and Romansh). Since it's almost entiery in the Alps, it's mostly famous for it's ski resorts. St. Mortitz, Arosa and Davos are some of the most famous ones. And yes, they did hold a vote on the Olympic bid, however the people voted against it.

Oh cool, I didn’t know St.Mortiz was in Graubünden. I always forget how important Cantons are in Swiss politics (arguably one of the weirdest political systems) 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Do you know any internet tool that may help learning French?

You can use free mobile apps like Duolingo (I'm currently learning Italian :p and practicing my German)

Edited by Bohemia

2 hours ago, Bohemia said:

You can use free mobile apps like Duolingo (I'm currently learning Italian :p and practicing my German)

Duolingo all the way indeed. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, AlFHg said:

Do you know any internet tool that may help learning French?

I concur with the majority. Duolingo is great! You can also learn High Valerian while you’re on there :p

Just as a helpful tip to everyone (and not just AIFHg), Duolingo is a great place to practice your English if you feel a bit uncomfortable with it.

53 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I concur with the majority. Duolingo is great! You can also learn High Valerian while you’re on there :p

Just as a helpful tip to everyone (and not just AIFHg), Duolingo is a great place to practice your English if you feel a bit uncomfortable with it.

I tried Italian with Duolingo - it was extremely boring for me and showed very few of a grammar, so I gave up quite early. With all my talent to languages, I simply cannot learn any without a teacher - not an electronic one, but with a person to explain me what I need to understand or give some other tips than just a book. That's why I am so poor with Italian that seems to be one of the easiest languages of the world (but I am some way able to communicate in Italian in writing with a help of Google Translate).