website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread

Olympian1010

Just now, heywoodu said:

Anyone here using Duolingo? :p

I do. At the moment I try to learn Chinese, or more specific, Mandarin.  The course I have spend most time doing is Dutch. I also do courses in Spanish, French and Hungarian. Some other languages I consider begin learning are Russian and Polish. 

43 minutes ago, Wumo said:

I do. At the moment I try to learn Chinese, or more specific, Mandarin.  The course I have spend most time doing is Dutch. I also do courses in Spanish, French and Hungarian. Some other languages I consider begin learning are Russian and Polish. 

Now I'm curious about your username :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

There any other different countries that speaks different languages but understand themselves without any problem. Like Czechs and Slovaks, The Czechs speaks Czech and Slovaks Slovak but both understand each other and thus can still discuss in their respective languages ?

Same with Croatian and Slovenian. Slovenians though allegedly understand us more easily than we understand them.

Also Croatian with Serbian, Bosnian, Montenegrin... But these languages are very similar obviously. :p

#banbestmen

38 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Now I'm curious about your username :d

Why? :d

There are two stories behind my username.

Firstly, the inspiration for my username comes from a Danish comic strip named WuMo. It's a abbreviation of the surnames of the two men behind the comic strip, comedian, Mikael Wulff, and illustrator, Anders Morgenthaler. 

Their daily comic strip is posted here in English: https://www.gocomics.com/wumo/2019/10/05. It's mostly dark humour.

Maybe you like these two: 

http://wumo.com/wumo/2017/11/04

http://wumo.com/wumo/2018/07/13

Secondly, I watched a lot of sumo wrestling on Eurosport when I was younger. It was so cool!  When I wanted to create an account for Youtube the name Sumo was already taken, so my younger self thought, what rhymes with Sumo and then Wumo came up. 

I used to have the username, Mushroom5690. I have always liked Toad from Super Mario and he was a mushroom so it made sense. 5690 is the postal code for the town where I was born. However many people thought that mushroom referred to "magic mushrooms". I dropped it after that. :p

Edited by Wumo

Just now, dcro said:

Same with Croatian and Slovenian. Slovenians though allegedly understand us more easily than we understand them.

Also Croatian with Serbian, Bosnian, Montenegrin... But these languages are very similar obviously. :p

I was pretty certain it will be the same also for all ex-:YUG countries :d 

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

Thank you guys for all answers !

It´s always great to learn about things from different cultures and habits, I would never have had the chance to learn otherwise :)

And now I wonder whether there are words in Slovak that is normal but became a profanity/negative words in Czech?

Indonesian and Malay have a lot of these words, and sometimes it caused some trouble for travelers from both countries. For example:

Dadah

Indonesian: This word is used when you ask little kids to wave goodbye to someone else ("C'mon, dadah to grandma before we leave")

Malay: narcotics

Butuh

Indonesian: need

Malay: d*ck

Pusing

Indonesian: dizzy

Malay: turn (left or right)

Banci:

Indonesian: drag queens

Malay: census

Seronok:

Indonesian: Lewd

Malay: Fun

Also there is the word awak which means "you" in Malay but in West Sumatra it means "I" (other regions use different words). Imagine if someone from Malaysia comes to West Sumatra....

Edited by Griff88

Just now, Griff88 said:

And now I wonder whether there are words in Slovak that is normal but became a profanity/negative words in Czech?

Haha, I can´t remember any, there obviously some words having different meaning, but nothing outragoeus :d

for example

Vedro is in SVK (Bucket) in CZE (Heat) or Topit is in SVK (drown) in CZE (stoke the fire) :lol:

I know we have such problematic words mainly with other slavic countries

with Poland is the most funny word Šukať/Szukat :lol: in POL it means (searching) in SVK/CZE it means doing...well,, (Fucking) :d I remember once when I was young and camping with my dad, we had a family of tourists from :POL in a tent next to us screaming the whole night, Szukaj ! Szukaj ! , I almost was pissing my pants how much I laughed that night, the next morning we learned that they were just looking for some lost watches :roflmao:

Also as I wrote it here somewhere a couple of weeks ago in :CRO you ask for cold drink "Hladna piča" but don´t say it in CZE/SVK because it means "you hungry cunt" :lol:

7 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Mare, shortened from nightmare, squizz which would be to take a look. Although I like to think "knackered" as common word but this one so loved that is constantly overused.
When I first came in Wellington, the videos on the language I watched were just a bit helpful. It didn't come to me as a piss. When someone starts talking fast, with every "e" in word sounding as /i:/, you often find yourself confused. But it is sweet as, you get used to it, one day your "hid" is on another world and everything is cracked up :d 

Yeah the shock of hearing your vowel sound will haunt me forever. I also noticed that “dick” is used rather informally to call someone an a-hole or idiot. 

ēgg nothing beats the New Zealand pronunciation of egg

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela