website statistics

Luge FIL World Cup 2019 - 2020

Totallympics

Just now, TomJa said:

It seems to me that there is a misleading stereotype that people from Russia or Ukraine cannot speak English. At my university there are a lot of students from Ukraine, which speaks English fluently and only in this language you can get along with them. And as Demchenko deals with English, to be honest I didn't have the opportunity to verify.

A whole boatload of Russian/Ukrainian athletes in many sports always doing their interviews with either just 'Yes' and 'No' or (mostly) with translators to translate their answers to English and the questions to their language doesn't help.

Of course there are a few who do speak English, but most (in the world of sports) either don't or just refuse to do so.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minuty temu, heywoodu napisał:

A whole boatload of Russian/Ukrainian athletes in many sports always doing their interviews with either just 'Yes' and 'No' or (mostly) with translators to translate their answers to English and the questions to their language doesn't help.

Of course there are a few who do speak English, but most (in the world of sports) either don't or just refuse to do so.

If I were an athlete and I got an offer to practice my profession in another country, I would like to learn a language, culture and other such matters. But the fact that Russians / Ukrainians are comfortable nations and they do not have any flair for languages. Polish footballers do not have it either, at least a few years ago, when they were leaving for country X and they were able to put together simple sentences in English.

First example from the shore,

2 hours ago, TomJa said:

It seems to me that there is a misleading stereotype that people from Russia or Ukraine cannot speak English. At my university there are a lot of students from Ukraine, which speaks English fluently and only in this language you can get along with them. And as Demchenko deals with English, to be honest I didn't have the opportunity to verify.

It's not really about whether or not they can speak English, it's about how they usually speak English with strong accents.

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

It's not really about whether or not they can speak English, it's about how they usually speak English with strong accents.

But Russian accent in English is one of the most awesome there is, so no complaints about that :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Austria’s Thomas Steu suffers severe injury

The Austrian Thomas Steu has broken his left tibia and fibula in a crash during training in Sigulda.

His partner Lorenz Koller came away with bruising.

As such, the season has ended early for the pair, who finished third in the overall World Cup and won two European Championship medals in Lillehammer.

The news was announced in a press release by the Austrian Luge Federation (ÖRV).  

Steu and his partner Lorenz Koller also won World Championship bronze in 2019, along with World Championship silver for Austria in the team relay. 

After receiving first aid at the track, the 25-year-old from Vorarlberg was transported to hospital in Riga, where his ankle was repositioned and set during a 90-minute operation.

It is not yet clear whether he injured any ligaments or tendons. 

Arturs Darznieks must be one of my favourite co-commentators in the sport :d He's commentating with such a 'dry' sense of humour, I love it.