website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Cup 2019 - 2020

Totallympics

35 minutes ago, phelps said:

let's not say ***...the highest seeded athlete could pick the course as always...

apparently, a few girls however didn't realize that the blue course was faster...

I think that i missed something, i was sure that they change the format :mumble::facepalm:

1 hour ago, Gianlu33 said:

I think that i missed something, i was sure that they change the format :mumble::facepalm:

today eurosport's broadcaster (Gian mario bonzi) said more than once that the top seed had the chance to pick the course he wanted...

therefore I assume it was really that way...

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

This PGS in Sestrieres was ridiculous :lol: 

How come the highest-ranked athletes aren't allowed to choose the course? Or are they and was every single one of them so dumb they picked the obviously slower red course?

They should really only allow 16 qualifiers and have a two run format. Basically the old city event format, but with two qualifying runs.

I really hate the one run format in parallel races.

15 minutes ago, NearPup said:

They should really only allow 16 qualifiers and have a two run format. Basically the old city event format, but with two qualifying runs.

Can't have both. Either two-run format or 32 racers instead of 16.

However you'd think a two-run format for 32 racers would be doable in a single-gender event like this. But they'd have to get rid of the qualifying stage.

41 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Can't have both. Either two-run format or 32 racers instead of 16.

However you'd think a two-run format for 32 racers would be doable in a single-gender event like this. But they'd have to get rid of the qualifying stage.

I think 16 is the only number that allows both a fair competition and a good TV product.

I basically want the same format alpine snowboarding used before they went to this one run nonsense.

3 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I think 16 is the only number that allows both a fair competition and a good TV product.

I basically want the same format alpine snowboarding used before they went to this one run nonsense.

One part of the course will always be more favored IMO so it's down to what FIS wants. These one-run events could be more unpredictable, a two-run thing would probably result in a Shiffrin vs Vlhova final 9/10 times. Question is whether FIS is okay with someone like Direz being a World Cup winner?

8 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

I guess the Dutch commentator was wrong when saying they had 'luck of the draw' (athletes on the blue course) :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, NearPup said:

No matter how many athletes are in, two runs is definitely the only fair way to go.

And if you're so desperate not to have two runs all the time, like FIS seems to be, do the exact opposite of what they've got now: one run in the first round and then switch to two runs.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Dunadan said:

There was a draw - Shiffrin was critical of this procedure during the interview just after the race with Rai Sport.

but when? and for what?

because I don't think there was a new draw in between every round...:mumble:

if the draw was just to fill the 1st round pairings, it really didn't have any influence on the race...

the initial question was only if the best seeded athlete could pick their favourite course in the 1-run heats (and according to eurosport commentator that happened) or not?

obviously, a fair 16 qualified athletes + a 2-run system in each round would be a lot better, but still this wasn't the case (and most likely it won't be also in the near future)...

however, with yesterday's format we have:

- 1st round: 16*2 = 32 heats

- 1/8 finals: 8 heats

- QTFs: 4 heats

- Semis: 4 heats (because they also keep those senseless -and dangerous for somehow demotivated athletes- 5th/8th place playoffs)

- Finals: 4 heats (see above, semis description)

Total: 52 heats and more than 90 mins TV time

with 16 qualifiers and a permanent 2-run system we have:

- 1/8 finals: 8*2 = 16 heats

- QTFs: 4*2 = 8 heats

- Semis: 2*2 = 4 heats (and get rid of the 5th/8th place playoffs, you can easily rank the skiers eliminated in the QTFs according to their qualification time, as they should do also for the earlier rounds, just to give more sense also to the single placings in the qualification runs)

- Finals: 2*2 = 4 heats

Total = 32 heats and most likely no more than 50/55 mins TV time (for the happiness of all the international broadcasters and to cope better with the young people's very limited attention span)