website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2020

Totallympics

On behalf of the US Women’s National Basketball Team, I formally apologize to the country of Mozambique for the unwanted slaughter they just received.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, dcro said:

And there you have it. Brazil can now defeat Australia by 40 points and still both would go through. Any victory would do it for Brazil.

And I have a feeling it might happen. Worst qualification system ever.

As much as I too love to “unusual” teams make the Olympics, this is on Puerto Rico. They needed to play better today. Brazil is the better team by most measures anyway. It sucks for Puerto Rico, but system still seems rather “fair” here (I would agree that I’d prefer a playoff game to points difference).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The only good news for :PUR is that AUS vs BRA will be held before FRA vs PUR. Australia could therefore miss out if they lose to Brazil and Puerto Rico gets an unlikely victory over France.

But still, had it been the other way around, the doors of corruption and match fixing would have been wide opened. :bye:

#banbestmen

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

And there you have it. Brazil can now defeat Australia by 40 points and still both would go through. Any victory would do it for Brazil.

And I have a feeling it might happen. Worst qualification system ever.

even though I agree with all you said

but BRA-AUS will be the first game of the day, I know Puerto Rico can't beat France but Australia can't take that risk. they will play 100% tomorrow.

Edit: :d just saw your post moments before mine, btw South Korea wasn't lucky like this though, they have to beat China , if not they have to pray for Spain to play "fair" against GB.

Edited by MHSN

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

As much as I too love to “unusual” teams make the Olympics, this is on Puerto Rico. They needed to play better today. Brazil is the better team by most measures anyway. It sucks for Puerto Rico, but system still seems rather “fair” here (I would agree that I’d prefer a playoff game to points difference).

No, it is not fair. If you already must have a system where 3/4 teams advance, then at least add semifinals and finals after the round robin stage.

Any system where outcomes of the meaningless matches (meaningless for at least one of the teams) can have more impact than outcomes of the direct match-ups is flawed.

Besides, if you check recent championships results, you'll see that Puerto Rico has been on-par with Brazil for a while now. Also, they qualified for the 2018 Worlds, while Brazil didn't.

#banbestmen

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Puerto Rico shouldn't even be at the Olympics .It's a USA territory and all it's people are US citizens

The Olympics should be about national teams representing nations

My understanding is that PR has decided to be a permanent   US territory rather than become a US state  or an independent country 

1 hour ago, rajiv said:

Puerto Rico shouldn't even be at the Olympics .It's a USA territory and all it's people are US citizens

My understanding is that PR has decided to be a permanent   US territory rather than become a US state  or an independent country 

A fair point I’ll give you that, but the US has never treated Puerto Rico as equal. There are actually specific clauses in US law that make it abundantly clear that Puerto Rico is a US-occupied territory at best. Most Americans actually believe that Peugeot Rico is a foreign country. They speak a different language, have a different culture, and send a different Olympics team. They got grandfathered in after the current IOC national Olympic committee guidelines.

No other NOCs really seem to complain about Puerto Rico being allowed to participate either, so for now, it’s a non-issue.

4 hours ago, rajiv said:

Under current rules Puerto Rico couldn't get an NOC. They are grandfathered in from the old rules (from when there were a lot more colonies).