website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2020

Totallympics

So Australia the #2 country in women's basketball has to travel to Franceand play France there

Don't tell me Europeans don't run world sport

If there was any fairness Olympic qualifiers should be played in the highest ranking country.

Someone will get home advantage and this should go to the most deserving-the highest ranking nation competing

4 hours ago, rajiv said:

So Australia the #2 country in women's basketball has to travel to Franceand play France there

If there was any fairness Olympic qualifiers should be played in the highest ranking country.

Someone will get home advantage and this should go to the most deserving-the highest ranking nation competing

In most sports Australia has the easiest Olympic qualification route of any country as part of Oceania. In most cases their only significant opposition is New Zealand. European countries usually have the toughest route to qualification as in many of the sports the continent has the greatest strength in depth. So I'm sorry, but I really can't find any sympathy for your argument.

1 hour ago, Nickyc707 said:

In most sports Australia has the easiest Olympic qualification route of any country as part of Oceania. In most cases their only significant opposition is New Zealand. European countries usually have the toughest route to qualification as in many of the sports the continent has the greatest strength in depth. So I'm sorry, but I really can't find any sympathy for your argument.

Had a look at all the team sports and would say that the only sport where Australia might have a problem qualifying a team -which they now qualify - if they were a European country is men's water polo.

In basketball they were 2nd at last women's WC and 4th at men's WC .

In football  volleyball handball they qualify via Asia not Oceania.

Oceania rugby7s is probably the strongest continent.

6 hours ago, rajiv said:

there was an auction to choose where the OQTs were going to be played (and the starting value was really, really high...out of this world, actually)...

so, it's not the European ruling this world...it's just who paid the amount of money FIBA wanted...and it's not France's fault if AUS declined the chance because of the crazy cost of hosting a basically useless OQT (they knew they were going to qualify in any case since the beginning, as there are 3 places available and only 2 very good teams in the group)...

Edited by phelps