website statistics

Women's Basketball FIBA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2020

Totallympics

13 minutes ago, ofan said:

Wait, so can someone please explain to me why the US and Japan are playing in the qualification tournaments? This makes absolutely no sense to me

It's one of the medium-level nonsenses in the Olympic qualification systems. Are we not used to them? :p

Just now, Vojthas said:

Yes, FIBA seems to break the bank in this cycle. Still all those 3x3 absurds are much worse.

Absolutely, I was just thinking that myself. They truly have made complete fools of themselves in this cycle

2 hours ago, ofan said:

Wait, so can someone please explain to me why the US and Japan are playing in the qualification tournaments? This makes absolutely no sense to me

The system was designed to give more meaningful International matches to all teams going to the Olympics in 2020. That’s why every teams, even Japan and the US, are participating in the final qualification tournament.

It’s somehow the most sensible of FIBA’s four qualification systems for these Olympics so I am not inclined to complain too much...

8 hours ago, NearPup said:

The system was designed to give more meaningful International matches to all teams going to the Olympics in 2020. That’s why every teams, even Japan and the US, are participating in the final qualification tournament.

It’s somehow the most sensible of FIBA’s four qualification systems for these Olympics so I am not inclined to complain too much...

c'mon! the USA are playing these tournaments with 5th tier players (and still dominating), Japan are playing with their best team, but they are so poor that they don't need this kind of help to suddenly become a mid-rank placings contender (not to mention the medal candidates being on another planet)...

this qualification system is just a farce (the 3X3 B'Ball system instead is a pure cheat)...