website statistics

Your Favorite Opening Ceremonies

Olympian1010

8 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

For the most part, I'm not interested in the OCs. Really not my cup of tea at all

I usually like the Parade of Nations, since there we're getting the first 'real' glimpse at the stars of the next two weeks or so and I really start getting excited. All the music and culture and stuff though, nah. "Our country is uniquely friendly, and welcoming and modern without forgetting our past and traditions!". Wow, like every other country ever.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, Griff88 said:

Lol yea the super enthusiastic women announcer (also in Minsk 2019) and too many short movies

I actually quite like it, though

I particularly liked the Brazilian flagbearer.

I don't remember much about the rest of the ceremony :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 9 months later...

Just because there’s a little chatter about this on the 2016 Replays Thread, I thought I’d remind everyone about this thread.

@Vojthas and myself had a conversation about ceremonies in the 2000s and couple weeks back, and noticed some of y’all informally ranking ceremonies from the 2000s in the Replays thread. So here’s my rankings of 2000s from the perspective of someone very into the artistic segments, cultural significance, and politics of opening ceremonies:

Summer: 

1. Rio/London - This is a dead tie for me. London sold the UK as a cultural brand, while Rio gave us the soul of Brazil. For London, Pandemonium stands out as possibly the greatest artistic segment of all-time. Both Games have very memorable cauldron designs as well.

3. Athens - So began the use of floating stages, and storytelling really designed for the television over the stadium audience. Flaming rings are possibly still the most used image of the Olympic Rings.

4. Beijing - Who doesn’t remember the drummers? Don’t get me wrong, this ceremony was spectacular at the time. The thing that spoils it for me is that I’ve come to realize China can just pull off a show like this whenever they want too. Watch the Wuhan 2019, Guangzhou 2010, Nanjing 2014 ceremonies. It’s all more of the same unfortunately. Beijing was an incredible ceremony, it just doesn’t hold a special place in my heart like the others.

5. Sydney - Not bad either, just a little outdated compared to the others. 

Winter:

1. Sochi - Oddly enough the ceremony remembered more for it’s large gaff with the Olympic Rings, is also my favorite. Putin wanted to put on a show, and he did. It was an impressive ceremony. I really enjoyed traveling through Russian history, and seeing how Russians (Putin) chose to portray it. The Russian Team entrance into the stadium was epic too with that awesome pop/rap song.

2. Vancouver - Another ceremony marked by a massive failure. Besides the cauldron mishap, this was a solid ceremony. Projections were very cool at the time, and the staging was rather unique with they entire audience wearing those white parkas.

3. Turin - Haven’t watched, but know it’s probably bette than the next two.

4. Pyeongchang - There’s nothing wrong with this ceremony, there’s just nothing that really stands out either. I will say that beautiful rendition of the Korean folk song by that older singer was very moving. Also, Pita was shirtless again, and that’s always a win.

5. Salt Lake - Ugh

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Winter:

1. Sochi - Oddly enough the ceremony remembered more for it’s large gaff with the Olympic Rings, is also my favorite. Putin wanted to put on a show, and he did. It was an impressive ceremony. I really enjoyed traveling through Russian history, and seeing how Russians (Putin) chose to portray it. The Russian Team entrance into the stadium was epic too with that awesome pop/rap song.

2. Vancouver - Another ceremony marked by a massive failure. Besides the cauldron mishap, this was a solid ceremony. Projections were very cool at the time, and the staging was rather unique with they entire audience wearing those white parkas.

3. Turin - Haven’t watched, but know it’s probably bette than the next two.

4. Pyeongchang - There’s nothing wrong with this ceremony, there’s just nothing that really stands out either. I will say that beautiful rendition of the Korean folk song by that older singer was very moving. Also, Pita was shirtless again, and that’s always a win.

5. Salt Lake - Ugh

Sochi is miles ahead than the others obviously...

Pyeongchang for me is Incheon 2014 Deluxe, their mix of traditional and modern stuff wasn't really good thus making it not super amazing.

Vancouver did not have a particular highlight for me, I remembered it solely because I watched several times.

Turin - Ferrari

Salt Lake - "On behalf of the proud, determined, and grateful nation I hereby grant you a graceful throw of a shoe from my left hand"

Bah, Humbug.  :old:

No mass dancing.  No light shows.  No allegorical representations of the Sun Goddess being born from the depths of the ocean.  :bones:

London 1948.  The Austerity Olympics.

Military band marches, plays some tunes.

Athlete’s Parade.

King declares Games open.

Olympic flame lit.

Everyone leaves the Stadium & queues for the bus home.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

My ranking:

1. London

2. Beijing

3. Athens

4. Sidney

5. Rio

I was not sure about the order of London and Beijing. I loved both and Beijing was more innovative, but the rythm of London was almost perfect for me.

1. Beijing 2008
  2. London 2012
  3. Athens 2004
  4. Sydney 2000
  5. Rio 2016

I have high hopes for the Tokyo ceremony. I hope they do a better job of the cauldron than London and Rio which I found to be underwhelming. (especially London’s cauldron). I want a big flame above the roof of the stadium, not some artistic thing tucked away in the corner of the stadium.