website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2020

heywoodu

The scoreboard not updating the positions but only the points is really annoying :d

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 3 weeks later...

Alright after listening to the songs more, these are my thoughts on what would have been this years songs. Iceland, Russia, and Ukraine are by far the best. If this was TISC, Iceland wins gold for me, Ukraine silver, and Russia bronze. They’re not campy pop songs, well Russia’s might be, but at least it’s fun and different.

Solovey makes me want to see a European Games opening ceremony in Kiev. Its really cool to see a country actually try a folk song. The modern track that goes along with it is a bop as well. Performance wise, she could stand to be a little more animated, though her finish is awesome. 

Iceland’s song is cool for multiple reasons. They beat and tone are completely different from every other song in the competition. The song is not a love, empowerment, or loss of love song. The song is actually about his son who was yet to born when he wrote it. So “Think About Things”, is really about what his child will think of his family (at least that’s what I’ve heard). So this is now two years in a row where Iceland was my favorite song. They seem to have a great tradition of sending unique songs.

Other songs I liked were Latvia, Lithuania (I cant get that fucking beat out of my head), Malta, Azerbaijan, and Greece.

If this was American Eurovision with the states voting, the winner would either be Armenia or Sweden. I though both those songs were decent. Sweden really sent pretty much the same thing it sent last year though.

I’m not a fan of Billie E...I mean Bulgaria. She has a great voice, but it’s clear Bulgaria was trying to cash an easy win. 

San Marino was...freaky. You probably wouldn’t be able to televise that in the US ?

Serbia, Slovenia, Belarus, Poland, and Portugal have some work to do. Poland can’t even hit her notes. Belarus sucks as always. Serbia is pretty much everything I hate in music. Slovenia and Portugal just don’t have appealing vocals to me.

So there’s my thoughts. We might all get to vote in a “Eurovision” next, since the U.S. version is scheduled to debut next year. It will just be terrible rap, country, and pop songs probably. Maybe we’ll get lucky and California or New Mexico will through something Spanish or Native American in. My bet is that the contest will never happen though, so let’s get to the point where entries are chosen first.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

So there’s my thoughts. We might all get to vote in a “Eurovision” next, since the U.S. version is scheduled to debut next year. It will just be terrible rap, country, and pop songs probably. Maybe we’ll get lucky and California or New Mexico will through something Spanish or Native American in. My bet is that the contest will never happen though, so let’s get to the point where entries are chosen first.

Yeah, the appeal of Eurovision is mostly different cultural backgrounds, the fact that anybody can randomly enter a song in their national language or even pop songs sometimes have a traditional spin on them.

With the US, you can argue that the states are very different, but all in all, it is still the same country, with a unified national language and somewhat unified history. 

So what would separate it from American Idol at the end of the day would probably be the voting system and the fact that everyone would have to submit an original song.

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

Apparently Euphoria is deemed the best song of the past 10 years? Really??

image.png

I still remember how my friend dislike it so much (he - for obvious reason - supported Anggun) and complained how a shaman on stage could win

Well, it does help that Euphoria smashed and stole the show back in 2012, that is why so many people are fond of it.

The only other countries that I remember from that year were Albania, Denmark and The Netherlands for good reasons

And Ireland, Russia, San-Marino for not the best of reasons.

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Apparently Euphoria is deemed the best song of the past 10 years? Really??

image.png

Best ESC winner instead of specifically best song, to be precise, but yeah :p Too bad Lordi wasn't in the past 10 years.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!