website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

Yep, press conference to kick off a busy week that includes IOC EB Meeting and an IOC Session (137th I believe).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Some stats/news from today’s IOC Press Release (not quite enough for me to write an article about):

This is probably the main one to note: “All 206 NOCs and the IOC Refugee Olympic Team will be encouraged to have their flag carried by one female and one male athlete at the Opening Ceremony.”

Also, 49% of athletes should be female, and the IOC expects all NOCs to field at least 1 man and 1 woman for Tokyo 2020.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Also, what about those nations who will be forced to have only one athlete, since IAAF no longer allows one universality place per gender? Will they get an extra volunteer of the opposite gender to carry the flag or what?

As ever, it's all about IOC selling an image, rather than actually fixing examples of inequity. :roflmao:

#banbestmen

Good luck with enforcing the gender parity rule if some nations only qualify for like 3 team sports in the men's events and 0 in women's :lol:

This political corectness bullshit is really getting to the extreme. I wonder when enough will be enough? It's only a matter of time before this happens,

And what if some nations field 80% of women and 20% men? Will anyone scream about gender parity then? I suspect not :p

Muslim nations will NEVER send more women than men but of course IOC only applies the rules to European and North American countries. Will Iran be banned from entering volleyball and football qualifications then? :dunno:

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

Also, what about those nations who will be forced to have only one athlete, since IAAF no longer allows one universality place per gender? Will they get an extra volunteer of the opposite gender to carry the flag or what?

As ever, it's all about IOC selling an image, rather than actually fixing examples of inequity. :roflmao:

It's obvious political bullshit... funny thing is the Muslim countries will obviously ignore it and IOC can't afford to ban all the oil countries or else global market takes a plunge... and Thomas Bach is too clever to risk a political crises based on his gender equality bullshit. Europe and America have long lost the privilege of telling the Middle East what to do :p

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

The IOC has the power to invite athletes at their discretion I believe (as they did with IOC Refugee Team in 2016 and North Korea in 2018). So they could offer a spot to those countries in need of representation in a gender. It was a while back, but my memory tells this something the IOC has already hinted they would do for Tokyo 2020.

21 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Good luck with enforcing the gender parity rule if some nations only qualify for like 3 team sports in the men's events and 0 in women's :lol:

This political corectness bullshit is really getting to the extreme. I wonder when enough will be enough? It's only a matter of time before this happens,

And what if some nations field 80% of women and 20% men? Will anyone scream about gender parity then? I suspect not :p

Muslim nations will NEVER send more women than men but of course IOC only applies the rules to European and North American countries. Will Iran be banned from entering volleyball and football qualifications then? :dunno:

The press release read, “For the first time ever, all 206 National Olympic Committees (NOCs) should have at least one female and one male athlete in their respective Olympic teams.” It doesn’t say representation needs to be 50/50, just that each NOC should send at least one athlete in each gender. Apologies, if that wasn’t clear in what I posted above.