website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Excuse me but who said IOC is a democratic organization to begin with? :mumble:

Pierre De Coubertin and the Olympic Charter.

Of course the IOC hasn’t really lived by the values of either, but it’s not wrong for us to wish they would. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Pierre De Coubertin

Right, so it's not something we should take serious.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Right, so it's not something we should take serious.

What do you mean?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

What do you mean?

He might not be as bad as Brundage, but it's not like De Coubertin was a person very...open to certain things. I believe for example he was a rather big fan of colonization and it being 'good' for the 'savages' in the colonies.

Can't find it at the moment in a quick search, maybe @Dragon knows more about it.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

He might not be as bad as Brundage, but it's not like De Coubertin was a person very...open to certain things. I believe for example he was a rather big fan of colonization and it being 'good' for the 'savages' in the colonies.

Can't find it at the moment in a quick search, maybe @Dragon knows more about it.

I haven’t heard anything about that (probably because the IOC and other Olympic scholars love covering stuff like that up to save face), but would also be interested to know if that’s true.

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Pierre De Coubertin and the Olympic Charter.

Of course the IOC hasn’t really lived by the values of either, but it’s not wrong for us to wish they would. 

IOC has evolved since de Coubertin... a lot! Just 36 years ago Ingemar Stenmark and Hanni Wenztel were banned from taking part in Sarajevo WOG, can you imagine IOC banning Mikaela Shiffrin and Henrik Kristoffersen from taking part in 2022 WOG? :lol:

Pro sports is all about money these days. Even IAAF changed their name since one of the As standing for 'amateur' has been a lie for 30+ years :p

Everyone simply stopped with the hypocrisy and I'm better off with that.

On 18/07/2020 at 08:39, Olympian1010 said:

I haven’t heard anything about that (probably because the IOC and other Olympic scholars love covering stuff like that up to save face), but would also be interested to know if that’s true.

Well, De Coubertain is quoted as saying sport would "calm the uncivilized races of Africa" and he didn't like women competing in most Olympic sports.

The big difference between him and Brundage is the change of general attitude between 1900 and 1972 (when Brundage retired).

DC's views were just those of an average French/European in those days - Brundage's views were already discredited when he was still president,