website statistics
Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!
 

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to:

 

  • Post replies and open new threads
  • Give reputation to other members' posts
  • Get your own private messenger
  • Manage your profile

 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

 

Sign In | Create an Account

George_D

International Olympic Committee News

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Or who’s allowed to be political, and who isn’t?

 

I honestly expect to see hella athlete protests and activism at these games. Especially since the IOC released this ridiculous document. Not to mention the whole Rule 40 debate...

I expect a whole lot of "I'm going to protest!" statements by athletes who'll not protest eventually.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

IOC also confirmed the Sapporo, Salt Lake, and Barcelona are interested in the 2030 Winter Olympics. Looks like it’s time for the Mormons to break out the checkbook again...

 

Sapporo and Salt Lake will be the 2030 and 2034 hosts in some order.  I think we'll see Sapporo get 2030 in order to distance Salt Lake from LA 2028.  Won't hurt matters that 2034 will be the first Olympics of a new TV contract after NBC's current deal expires

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Or who’s allowed to be political, and who isn’t?

 

I honestly expect to see hella athlete protests and activism at these games. Especially since the IOC released this ridiculous document. Not to mention the whole Rule 40 debate...

 

Meh.  I agree with heywoodu.. a lot of athletes will say they're going to.  And then they'll get to Tokyo and not actually do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

 

Sapporo and Salt Lake will be the 2030 and 2034 hosts in some order.  I think we'll see Sapporo get 2030 in order to distance Salt Lake from LA 2028.  Won't hurt matters that 2034 will be the first Olympics of a new TV contract after NBC's current deal expires

They won’t award both games. There’s too much interest with three cities involved. I think it’s a bit rude to write off Barcelona already, but I do agree they probably stand no chance winning the games. NBC will forever broadcast the Olympics. The IOC doesn’t watch porn, they just look at the NBC logo...


“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

 

Meh.  I agree with heywoodu.. a lot of athletes will say they're going to.  And then they'll get to Tokyo and not actually do it.

Right, which is just as hypocritical, and those lose my respect in a way. 


“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

They won’t award both games. There’s too much interest with three cities involved. I think it’s a bit rude to write off Barcelona already, but I do agree they probably stand no chance winning the games. NBC will forever broadcast the Olympics. The IOC doesn’t watch porn, they just look at the NBC logo...

 

Well, so long as that Comcast money keeps flowing.  The IOC did them a huge favor this last time around not opening up negotiations for the other networks, basically telling NBC "thanks for everything over-paying for the last 2 deals, here's the next 6 Olympics at a discount."  We'll see what happens down the road.  I agree they won't award both Games, but it's not the most impossible outcome if only to lock in Salt Lake before the IOC starts negotiating a new TV deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Wow! 2

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some highlights from the IOC EB meeting:

- Lausanne 2020 was the most watched and followed Winter YOG to date. Severe rise in popularity.

- IOC aim to have the Olympics be “carbon positive” by 2030 (meaning that they go further than being carbon neutral)

- All NOCs must work towards having at least 1 man and 1 woman at the Summer Olympics starting with Tokyo 2020

- Parade of Nations guidelines will be change to recommend each NOC have a pair of the flagbearers (one male, one female)


“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also suggest a man and a woman can only walk side by side. If there is an uneven number of representatives of both sex's, the odd one should be deported to their home country immediately!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

- All NOCs must work towards having at least 1 man and 1 woman at the Summer Olympics starting with Tokyo 2020

 

Bhutan will get burned for this. They haven't had a man since 2008, and looks like they will not have one once again (unless they break their boycott over athletics/swimming events). :p


All King Victor Emmanuel's Show Horses Can Make Really Beautiful People Fall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...