website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

Il y a 2 heures , Dragon a déclaré:

In sports where England, Scotland etc play as separate teams (rugby, curling and (sometimes) hockey, the British NOC nominates an official team for Olympic qualification.

This is always Scotland for curling and has been England for rugby and the European Championship part of hockey qualification.

So, as you point out, if Wales or Scotland qualify for the Olympic rugby sevens via the World Sevens series and England does not then GB would not be allowed to take up their Olympic qualification.

That's pretty convenient ...

Let's imagine a situation in which England has to beat Scotland to qualify GB for the Olympics ... Scotland would surely let England win, and that's unfair

1 hour ago, phelps said:

Rink Hockey in the past tried to allow Catalunya to play the world champs as an established Country (they would be medal contender for sure, if not the main favourite in all the champs they would play), but then political pressure by Spain held them off...

however, Catalunya have somehow recognized national teams in Rink Hockey, Handball, Basketball and Football (and the football team -as also Basque Country- until a few time ago used to play "official" International Friendlies)...

Rink Hockey still let them play friendlies...

Well yeah, but then we're talking rink hockey, just like korfball not exactly a big favourite to be added to the Olympic program anytime soon. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, SalamAkhi said:

That's pretty convenient ...

Let's imagine a situation in which England has to beat Scotland to qualify GB for the Olympics ... Scotland would surely let England win, and that's unfair

It's not a good system...

4 horas atrás, heywoodu disse:

Which sports, besides korfball, let Catalonia compete separately? Korfball hasn't shown that much Olympic ambition so far, so there's not much of a problem there.

Women's futsal and roller hockey are the ones I remember, but it's not like they are thriving Olympic candidates, I know. But it makes me uncomfortable when federations allow a non-UN state to compete against other UN states. Imagine what it is like for Spanish players to play against... Spain (or Catalonia, as they call it).

17 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Women's futsal and roller hockey are the ones I remember, but it's not like they are thriving Olympic candidates, I know. But it makes me uncomfortable when federations allow a non-UN state to compete against other UN states. Imagine what it is like for Spanish players to play against... Spain (or Catalonia, as they call it).

In the end it's just simple for me: UN states should be allowed to compete as such (and states that are recognized by at least half of the UN members), the rest should not. Easy peasy :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

In the end it's just simple for me: UN states should be allowed to compete as such (and states that are recognized by at least half of the UN members), the rest should not. Easy peasy :p 

But technically any political entity under a UN state is also recognized as being part of the UN or at least sovereign. Such is the case of the Faroe Islands, Niue, Cook Islands, Greenland, Aruba, Bermuda, etc. Taiwan is a little more complicated. Palestine is also technically an observer state, but I’m fine with them competing as long as Israel is allowed to participate as well.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Although TPE is safe for Tokyo 2020, the referendum already had its effects. In Badminton Asia (where China has considerable political power), Taipei has been stripped from hosting Asian Junior Championships. Without the referendum issue, Taiwan is already de facto barred from hosting Asian badminton event except junior events. A ban was even considered if the referendum passed.

6 hours ago, Griff88 said:

Although TPE is safe for Tokyo 2020, the referendum already had its effects. In Badminton Asia (where China has considerable political power), Taipei has been stripped from hosting Asian Junior Championships. Without the referendum issue, Taiwan is already de facto barred from hosting Asian badminton event except junior events. A ban was even considered if the referendum passed.

That is insane. AIBA-like stuff almost.

Edited by heywoodu

Fascinating events taking place on the first of day 1 of the ANOC General Assembly. Sheik Ahmad has stepped down from the presidency for the moment and all sorts of interesting sports politics has taken place. First the completely changed the agenda according to the media on site. The agenda, in my opinion, had been altered by Ahmad to show what a great job his presidency has done by showing off the success of the last Olympics, YOG, and establishment of the World Beach Games. These items were presented before Ahmad gave his speech. However, after he officially suspended his candidacy, with no challengers, the ANOC election committee said the election would be moved to a later date. Once they concluded saying this Arab NOC’s lined up and started voicing support for Ahmad one after another. The only dissenting opinions came from the America’s with Costa Rica and St. Lucia voicing their support for the ANOC’s handling of the matter. The ANOC heads of state (ranking members) then went on to justify their position before calling for a lunch break. On a side point the America’s will lose power with Julio Maglino (I spelled his name wrong, I’m trying to type fast) steeping down as Vice President, while the Oceania region gains power since a Fijian will be the next ANOC Vice President (and maybe serving President). Also, the bigger NOC’s: USA, CHN, GBR, GER, RUS, FRA, CAN, RSA, KOR, JPN, etc. have been completely quiet during the whole incident regarding Ahmad. It’s been an interesting morning (or evening for me) for international sports politics.

Video of the first session, I believe the good stuff starts around 3:30-4:00 hours in:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela