website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

13 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Bach is the worst IOC president since Brunbage.

Sir Avery was extremely flawed and blind to reality,but, not sure I would put him at worst.  For  overall weakness and ineffectiveness, it’s hard to top his immediate successor.

3 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

Sir Avery was extremely flawed and blind to reality,but, not sure I would put him at worst.  For  overall weakness and ineffectiveness, it’s hard to top his immediate successor.

I just have a really hard time getting past Brundage's... character flaws.

2 hours ago, NearPup said:

I just have a really hard time getting past Brundage's... character flaws.

Probably both of you were right. Brundage was a horrible person even to his day's standards (so by not judging someone by the standards of our day), and Samaranch (together with Nebiolo and their "shared" business cronies) did a lot of damage due to extreme corruption and tolerance of widespread doping (not only in the communist bloc)

ed: sorry I see that he talks about Brundage's immediate sucessor. My comment about Samaranch still stands, but of course he was not weak and ineffective.

Coates admits key Olympic Charter changes targetted at IWF as IOC Session approves amendments
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1111402/ioc-passes-charter-changes-weightlifting

IOC vice-president John Coates admitted the latter came in response to the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF), which he said had failed to follow several clear directions from the Executive Board to improve its doping culture and repair its governance.

If they use these powers only to make an ultimatum to the IWF, I am fine with it. Probably the last chance to pressure them to clear out from the leadership the Ajánists, the corrupt old guard, the enablers of doping and doping coverup, put in place the reformed charter which was drawn up (elegibility requirement for leadership, doping controls etc.), and so on. The persons in question can decide if they want to continue in power (and thereby say goodbye to the IOC money) or give in to save their sport. Its up to the current leadership.

• 3 weeks later...