website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

As long as broadcasts and replays are being easier to find (or better, possible to find without a master's degree), it's an improvement :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 16/03/2021 at 07:43, George_D said:

Athens to host 138th IOC session in 2025 (where the 2032 Summer Olympics host will be decided)

Actually, under the IOC New Norm rules,  the old 7-year-prior election no longer happens. 

It is widely expected that the 2032 Summer Olympics Host (Brisbane/South East Queensland) will be voted on this coming July 2021 at the IOC Session in Tokyo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

1998, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2008 hosts have all gotten a second games after hosting. Only leaves 2004 (which ain't happening anytime soon) and 2010 hosts. Is 2030 going to Vancouver if the pattern holds lol? 

(Personally I hope not)

Hosting another games in Vancouver 20 years later isn't exciting (and it sure hurts the chances of Canada hosting the summer games for quite a while), but from the IOC's POV it's hard for me to see a better bid than Vancouver or Calgary for 2030. It's a safe pair of hands, most of the venues are already there and it doesn't run into the issue of the country just having hosted (which is why I'm not bullish on Salt Lake City 2030 as anything other than a last resort).