website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I didn't quote this article more than once. You have yet to address Shiwen's performance being better than a male swimmers.

I expressed my meaning clear enough and we yet not in the same dimension. We don't have to convince each other. We just need to have faith in WADA, that's the bottom line for athletes and sports fans. We obey the rules of WADA and receive punishments from WADA or CAS. That's enough. Like what I said rules are rules.

28 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

What a loss

I don't know if it is a loss or not. But we all remember where this pandemic has started so you should understand I am cautious with your covid stats right now.

By the way, I just love Liu Xiang performance in Athens, his joy when he won was unforgettable - good to know every nation has his sports heroes who didn't have any doping issues.

Can we at least wait for evidence of a a country having systematic state sponsored doping before we start discussing those countries having the same punishment that Russia got?

Almost every country has a doping problem. If it turns out that, random example, Sir Andrew was doping and the UK government helped cover it up them we could talk about the UK facing consequences like Russia’s. But even if you assume the worst allegations around Sky / Ineos are true it doesn’t reach that level.

26 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Can we at least wait for evidence of a a country having systematic state sponsored doping before we start discussing those countries having the same punishment that Russia got?

Almost every country has a doping problem. If it turns out that, random example, Sir Andrew was doping and the UK government helped cover it up them we could talk about the UK facing consequences like Russia’s. But even if you assume the worst allegations around Sky / Ineos are true it doesn’t reach that level.

Neah, how long did we have to wait until Lance Armstrong finally got exposed? Handing out life-time bans to athletes who are retired make no sense. Waiting makes no sense at all. Not when Justin Gatlin is allowed to compete as a repeated doping offender like nothing happened.

Comcast which owns Sky has a yearly revenue of 109 billion dollars. That's more than Kenya's & Ethiopia's GDP. So much for "state doping" being an exclusive Russian-thing.

18 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Comcast which owns Sky has a yearly revenue of 109 billion dollars. That's more than Kenya's & Ethiopia's GDP. So much for "state doping" being an exclusive Russian-thing.

Perhaps I missed the IOC Session when Comcast was accepted as a new NOC, or the UN General Assembly when Comcast’s sovereignty was recognized. :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I do agree that there have been major, major failures in the worldwide anti-doping movement. There is definitely a case that some athletes/countries/teams get preferential treatment, and that is unacceptable. However, that doesn’t excuse what the Russian Federation did either. 

If people actually wanted clean sport, there are many reforms that must be put in place to improve the international anti-doping system. The system needs to become more transparent, less nationalized, and more independent.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Perhaps I missed the IOC Session when Comcast was accepted as a new NOC, or the UN General Assembly when Comcast’s sovereignty was recognized. :p

Comcast also owns NBC Universal who is the OG TV broadcaster in USA and dictates the IOC how the Olympic schedule should look like (US-fan favorite sports in US prime-time and screw the rest of the world :p ). You really think IOC will mess up with their top financial backer like that? This is not how business works.

It's gonna take years before the Team Sky doping scheme gets fully exposed, they stumbled upon Bradley Wiggins medical bags and UK Cycling had to clean house or else shit would really hit the fan but it eventually will - only years removed just like in Lance Armstrong's case.