website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

11 minutes ago, Laraja said:

Will we see Russian athletes giving up to go to the Olympics? I mean, because they cannot represent their country properly, and not because of doping stuation.

I remember something from Russian boxers saying that If they could not fight under Russian flag, then they were not going to the Olympics.

well, for them it's a different situation and feeling...

they surely feel they're victim of some kind of injustice and they also have a strong patriotic feeling...so, they are always proud of representing their Country and show the world they're the best despite the Western ostracism (and they also have a regime that normally use sports success as a form of marketing)...

however, it might well be an option for some of their athletes to switch to other friend Countries, they normally do that to find some space when they feel they don't have chances to make their national team...so, why not doing anything similar in this circumstance?

in any case, nothing's going to upset/surprise me anymore...

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Bach was very clear that Belarusian athletes would still be allowed to compete under their flag for the time being. The IOC is only taking select actions against certain NOC officials, and the institution of the NOC.

I know that (and I'm absolutely OK with that, since they are not guilty of any sport infraction/cheating)...

I was only answering our French friend, who was surprised to hear that the Belorussian athletes are going to compete under IOC's Flag in Tokyo...

1 minute ago, rafalgorka said:

I wonder if Russians will be able to complete in Tokyo and Beijing in team sports as kind of neutrals, like they did in Pyeongchang with hockey team

sure...no doubt about that...

we're going to see the signature OAR and the IOC Flag in the top 3 of the medal table, too...:yikes:

Feeling sad for those innocent Russian athletes. To punish and humiliate those innocent athletes just because of their nationality doesn't make sense to me and it's a political intervention under a lawful and beautifully make-up way which those judges are good at. Well, rules are rules. Losers obey it, winners create it and Russian athletes have to live with it.

18 minutes ago, phelps said:

I was only answering our French friend, who was surprised to hear that the Belorussian athletes are going to compete under IOC's Flag in Tokyo...

We seem to be stuck in a misunderstanding. What I might be that post was, “athletes from Belarus will still be allowed to compete under the Belarusian flag.” Under the current sanctions, they won’t be asked to compete under the Olympic Flag.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

17 minutes ago, phelps said:

we're going to see the signature OAR and the IOC Flag in the top 3 of the medal table, too...:yikes:

Well, CAS said it had to say “Neutral Athlete”, so maybe we’ll get NAR this time :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 minutes ago, phelps said:

That would be good. Winning our beloved medal in volleyball without Russians (... and Italians) in competition would not taste the same. 

17 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Feeling sad for those innocent Russian athletes. To punish and humiliate those innocent athletes just because of their nationality doesn't make sense to me and it's a political intervention under a lawful and beautifully make-up way which those judges are good at. Well, rules are rules. Losers obey it, winners create it and Russian athletes have to live with it.

This would be fine and all... If there weren't countless innocent athletes who got cheated out of their medals thanks to the 'Russian methods'...

'Russian methods' that were obviously created as a political intervention to begin with.

#banbestmen