website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

The Polish boycott decision was made on May 17th and was announced to public on the evening news. Otherwise legendary Poliish sporting journalist Wlodzimierz Szaranowicz was supposed to break it on TV but refused and was subsequently taken off air for the next 6 months. His mother & brother were living in USA already and he was told he won't be send to cover the Olympics several months before just like he was banned from making a trip to Lake Placid in 1980.

8 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

The Polish boycott decision was made on May 17th and was announced to public on the evening news. Otherwise legendary Poliish sporting journalist Wlodzimierz Szaranowicz was supposed to break it on TV but refused and was subsequently taken off air for the next 6 months. His mother & brother were living in USA already and he was told he won't be send to cover the Olympics several months before just like he was banned from making a trip to Lake Placid in 1980.

I hope he will be health enough to live his Olympic American dream with his family in 2028.

12 hours ago, Federer91 said:

Hmmm, i know the fencing World Cup and it's a complete mess. There is no organisation of the calendar whatsoever, just random events scattered around the year. A sabre thing here, a foil event there, men and women competing in different cities.. Is there a valid ranking system, which are the top tournaments, do all the best fencers compete in them? Compare it with the tennis circuit, where everything is clear from top to bottom. How can people learn and get to know who are the stars of fencing? If they made a product, which can be marketed by the TVs around the world and not give it for free on the internet, maybe they wouldn't be so much dependent on the IOC money. 

no, it's not anymore...

we always have a rotation between weapons on dedicated slot on the calendar (with the same tournament being held on the same date year after year, like in Tennis)...

obviously everything could be done a lot better, from the choice of some locations to the venues and even the live coverage, but I don't think that many sports have a better organization...

for what concerns the main tournaments and the world ranking, well you always have the best athletes showin'up and the ranking is really showing the season's bests...

moreover, Fencing has one of the most effective olympic qualification system (it's only a bit unbalanced towards the powerhouses of the sport, as they have quite a few spots reserved to those athletes who are not supported by a strong team and too few spots for the team events, which are the main base for qualification...but you can't have everything "ideal" when you're not the most popular sport in the world)...

p.s. I consider the free coverage on Youtube a plus, not something that should be removed in favour of rich tv contracts, which normally lead true fans without the chance to watch their favourite sport (because no tv network in the world could show every event of a season) in the name of a false and not everlasting "popularity"...

and with less "happy" hardcore fans, every sport is going to lose its basic supporting cast on the long period...and for what? a bunch of occasional money in a favourable span and that's it...once the temporary interest is over, it's all over...

imho, that's not worth the risk...

Olympics at Sports Reference got closed today. :hairpull::facepalm:

I can't help but feel responsible because I asked for one correction yesterday and perhaps reminded them about their intent to close the site... :zip:

https://www.sports-reference.com/olympics.html

#banbestmen

11 minutes ago, dcro said:

I can't help but feel responsible because I asked for one correction yesterday and perhaps reminded them about their intent to close the site... :zip:

What were you trying to correct?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

21 minutes ago, dcro said:

I thought all of that was supposed to be copied one-on-one to the IOC's website..? Can't find it there though, and definitely not in a format that's as perfect as sports-reference :( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I thought all of that was supposed to be copied one-on-one to the IOC's website..? Can't find it there though, and definitely not in a format that's as perfect as sports-reference :( 

They haven't done it. Crap, now everything is lost

2 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

They haven't done it. Crap, now everything is lost

It's a whole buch of smart people behind it, I'm pretty sure everything is not actually lost :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

What were you trying to correct?

It's stupid, really. They usually list married names for athletes in brackets, and I felt smart upon stumbling onto an example where the post-Olympic name was not added...

#banbestmen