website statistics

Summer Youth Olympic Games 2026

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Without getting super technical and specific, and using the 2020 Winter YOG as an example. Here we go.

If you look up the Lausanne2020 schedule (on Wikipedia, or the website) something should stand out quickly. The games last 14 days, and sports only go for one week. So essentially half the sports are happening in week 1 and half in week 2 (expect for one or two that span the whole schedule). The athletes stay in the village the week their sport takes place. One day they move out, and the next “wave” moves in (I believe it’s a Sunday because there’s only like 1-3 events that day or something). So essentially the village can be smaller (saving the organizers money) and sports can have more athletes. In this edition countries could have qualified up to 3 Alpine skiers for example. In the last edition only 3-5 countries got 2 skiers and everyone else got one (and some countries got none). This system is new to IOC events, but many other games already use variants of this system. It allows them to increase participation, cut costs, and have a more sustainable business model.

Looks like a good system but needs modification. 

Imagine Dakar having this system. Only 170 nations or so  will have their flagbearers at both ceremonies  .

18 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Looks like a good system but needs modification. 

Imagine Dakar having this system. Only 170 nations or so  will have their flagbearers at both ceremonies  .

YOG ceremonies would be fine without flagbearers to be honest. You barely see them currently anyways. Plus every nation is allowed a swimmer and track/field athlete. Just put those two sports on separate weeks and you’re good :yes.

That’s why there wasn’t flagbearers for many countries at the 2017 World Games if people remember that ceremony.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1088873/baseball5-wushu-added-to-dakar-2022

Wow what a suprise came out of nowhere!! 

Wushu and Baseball 5 in the Youth Olympics. 

Baseball5 is a complete shock. I also have no clue why Wushu would requested.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 6 months later...

We all new Senegal wasn't ready.....

Why didn't award the games to other nation and had them host in 2026 from the beginning??? Thomas Bach wanted the "Olympics hosted in Africa" before it was realistic. And that's the price to pay.

Cause I don't buy that cheap excuse they are putting. They should let other country jump and host the 2022 ones,....

1 minute ago, Jur said:

We all new Senegal wasn't ready.....

Why didn't award the games to other nation and had them host in 2026 from the beginning??? Thomas Bach wanted the "Olympics hosted in Africa" before it was realistic. And that's the price to pay.

Cause I don't buy that cheap excuse they are putting. They should let other country jump and host the 2022 ones,....

IOC release says "excellent preparations".. we all know this was going to be a disaster and tbh I don't think 4 additional years will be enough