website statistics

Summer Youth Olympic Games 2026

Totallympics

hace 10 minutos, dcro dijo:

I just realized that athletes born in Summer Olympic years will never be eligible (in most sports) to compete at Summer YOG. Oh the irony. :lol:

What? I don't understand. I'm very sure there were athletes born in 2000 back in 2018 and in majority of sports :mumble:

11 minutes ago, LDOG said:

What? I don't understand. I'm very sure there were athletes born in 2000 back in 2018 and in majority of sports :mumble:

Yes, there was. Age range is from 15 to 18. I assume @dcro is talking about the few sports that limit age further (figure skating for example).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Athletics was 2001/02. Most of the others too I assume.

Either way, athletics gives most athletes.

#banbestmen

OK, so the first thing about today's postponement - it's not the matter of Dakar/Senegal/Africa not being ready. It's mostly, I assume with 90% of being sure, about qualification systems: a) not ready yet b) not able to be ready due to a lot of job to bring back the whole sport to some normal level and Tokyo 2020 qualification being a priority c) even if ready, not able to realize in shorter period of time than expected before pandemic, also becuase of Tokyo 2020 priority.

Then there are probably such things as in modern pentathlon, which was to introduce a new format for Dakar already - however no tests can be lead in 2020, there will be no Congress this year to adapt those changes even without testing (which nobody would be stupid enough to do) and it had to be done this year so that next year Dakar 2022 qualification would be held according to new rules.

Then, the next thing about age range, also on the example of pentathlon: it's age category for YOG is Youth A aka 17-18 year olds. Of course, it does happen, that younger athletes do compete, but they are usually single cases - there might be a 15-year-old who can fence, but can they do it on the level at least some way equal to the 18-year-old? That's the example of Ewa Pydyszewska, who was starting in tetrathlon competition in Poland even as 15-year-old, so just starting her age of Youth B (triathle by rule). She was one of the poorest fencers in the field. Now, when she's 18 (in December) she did improve enough so that she is a leading youth A in Poland. I don't want to say that as she was 15-year-old her colleagues at the same age didn't train fencing, but they didn't show their lack of skills at the competition, starting in triathle category only.

And the other point of view of age limit - as the qualification lasts for two years (well, maybe seasons is a better word in this case), you might find such athletes at Youth A Europeans/Worlds who will be 19 during YOG, aka not eligible to qualify. I think that's why there was a separate Qualifier for Buenos Aires in Caldas da Rainha except for Youth A Europeans being used for that (just compare the Italian girls team at these competitions - with Ludovica Montecchia in place of Elena Micheli, Youth A Worlds silver medalist and 4th at Youth A Europeans, for YOG qualifier).

hace 57 minutos, dcro dijo:

Athletics was 2001/02. Most of the others too I assume.

Either way, athletics gives most athletes.

I just checked and it's less than half sports. However it does include athletics and gymnastics out of the most crowded sports (though the women in gymnastics are so young at YOG that some are born in the year of the next SOG).

i'm totally against delaying YOG another 4 years and it actually can open the door for cancelling Tokyo 2020 which we all wouldn't like to happen , anyway this decision will definitely harm thousands of athletes and force them not to take part in YOG which only come once in life , if IOC decided the wrong place from beginning or let's say they just took the risk they should have had plan b and C for this at least it should have been postponed for only 1 year , but tbh many things in the world changed after Corona , u can't search for some countries now who're already struggling after Corona and tell them if they're open to organize and prepare for such an event within less than 2 years , even the IOC don't have the welfare of supporting Senegal financially that much to insure that things will be ok and ready by 2022 after all i still think it was a very huge mistake  

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I'm not leaking any secret, but my source didn't say anything like it's top secret or something. So...

To fill the loss caused by the postponement of YOG, in the year of 2022, UIPM will organize a special youth event that could be named: “Pierre De Coubertin Youth Cup or Championships” for all youth athletes , who could be qualified in a similar system as for YOG to award their efforts.

More details of the event will be discussed at later stage.

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

10 years later...

"I took part in the (Olympics) Pierre De Coubertin Youth Cup."

-"(Wow! Good for you!) The what now?"

Yeah...I don’t think a single competition can really replace the unique experience of the YOG. 

They only “substitute” I could see working would be for every IF to host a competition under the same name (and branding), but in different cities, with the medals all being the same design, and all be counted on an overall medal table. Even then, you’re not really getting an authentic multi sports games experience.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela