website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2032 Bid Process

On 27/02/2021 at 00:07, Griff88 said:

The Indonesian NOC posted on Instagram to explain that 'targeted dialogue' means it is not over yet, I commented on the lack of openly accessible information and gave what information that Brisbane had shared to public. They later deleted the post for some reason...

Edit: They reposted it, let's hope it's not because of my negative comment :lol:

As you can see above, Brisbane/SEQ 2032 has been very public and made so many announcements for six years, especially over the last 3 years.

Literally hundreds of Brisbane/SEQ 2032 media announcements, media conferences, media interviews, newspaper repirts,feasability studies, etc etc - it has all been very public, don’t worry.

You only need to google each step of their progress over the last six years. The media has followed it every step of the way.

On 02/04/2021 at 04:00, DaniSRB said:

New candidat Seoul-Pyeongyang

Brisbane :bye:

Brisbane/SEQ - highly advanced bid and has full government support at all three levels of government,

- has the majority support of Queensland’s citizens.

- Brisbane/SEQ has exclusive Preferred Bidder status over all other bidders.

- now completing final paperwork before IOC votes them in as the Hosts at the 138th IOC Session this July in Tokyo.

- COVID circuit breaker choice for 2032

- they are so far in front and have been so for the last 3 years and no-one will catch them now before the Final Vote in 4 months time in July

South/North Korea - been asleep for 3 years.  just talking and have barely moved or done much at all. Not a chance for 2032 at least. There’s kess than 4 months to the expected 2032 Brisbane/SEQ hosting vote and so South/North Korea unfortunately is too little, too late for 2032.

Budapest, Hungary - been asleep, they have hardly gotteen out of bed and have just formed a committee to do a “feasability study”. Too little, too late for 2032

Rhine-Rhur, Germany - lots of infighting, does not have their own government support for the bid and the majority of their own citizens are against the bid. Now because they do not understand the new bidding rules and now they have started a fight with the IOC.  This bid is a real mess and no chance for 2032.  2036 is a priblem too as it is 100 years after the Nazi-run  Games of 1936 - something which will weigh against them for 2036.

Qatar - not a chance.  New IOC rules require the Summer Games must be held in July/August. That eliminates Qatar straight away way too hot for the many Olympic outdoor sports and spectators. 

I wish the other bidders well for next time and I am sure each of the rivals bidders will be better prepared next time.

On 27/02/2021 at 01:21, Vic Liu said:

Well I don't see information that Brisbane shared to public either, it just suddenly became the recommendation city. I understand that it's a developed city with relatively good facilities and friendly atmosphere for athletes. But I don't see the discussion about the budget and how to raise it. It may be a "debt trap" for Australia like Belt and Road initiative.

Actually, it’s the opposite of that.

Brisbane has been front-runner for 3 solid years now by a long way.

Nothing at all has “suddenly happened”.

Literally hundreds of media announcements, bid announcements, government media releases at all 3 levels of government, IOC visits, feasibility studies, mass people movement study, value proposition report, etc etc and all followed and reported by the media.

6 years in the making

The history of Brisbane/SEQ’s 2032 Bid

AOC - Australian Olympic Committee

IOC - International Olympic Committee

COMSEQ - Council of Mayors of South East Queensland 

PM - Australian Prime Minister

OCLG  Olympic Candidature Leadership Group (Brisbane/SEQ 2032)

QP - Queensland Premier

When

What

By

Nov 2014

Olympic Agenda 2020 announced 

“A strategic road map for the Olympic Movement”

IOC

Pre-feasibility Study of a potential SEQ bid for 2028 Olympic Games commissioned in 2015 and released 2016

COMSEQ

Sep 2017

Paris and Los Angeles awarded 2024 and 2028 Games

IOC

April 2018 

2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games

GOLDOC

Jan 2019

SEQ People Mass Movement Study Released 

COMSEQ

Feb 2019

2032 SEQ Olympic / Paralympic Games Feasibility Study 

COMSEQ

May 2019

- ‘Sport Accord’ global sports conference Gold Coast visited by the IOC President

-  IOC President addresses AOC

IOC President

June 2019

New Norm Olympic bidding rule changes announced

IOC

June 2019

Australian Prime Minister meets with IOC President at G20 Summit

PM

July 2019

IOC Sends Funding Contribution Letter to Queensland Government

IOC

July 2019

Brisbane 2032 Value Proposition Assessment released

QP

Aug 2019

Inaugural Meeting of 2032 Olympic Candidature Leadership Group

OCLG

Sep 2019

Queensland Premier leads delegation in visit to IOC in Lausanne, Switzerland.

QP

Dec 2019

Queensland Premier announces Candidature for 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games

QP

Dec 2019

AOC welcomes Queensland 2032 Olympic Games Candidature

AOC

Mar 2020

Bid suspended due to COVID Pandemic

QP

Nov 2020

PM meets with IOC President and AOC President in Tokyo

PM, IOC + AOC

Dec 2020 

Brisbane/SEQ 2032 Bid continuous dialogue resumes

QP

Jan 2021

IOC Presentation to Brisbane Candidature representatives

IOC

Feb 2021 

Brisbane/SEQ 2032 Candidature presentation made to the IOC Future Host Commission

OCLG

Feb 2021

Feasibility Assessment Report into the Brisbane/SEQ 2032 Candidature presented to the IOC Executive Board

IOC Future Host Commission

Feb 24 2021

IOC Future Host Commission instructed to enter into “Targeted Dialogue” with the Brisbane/SEQ candidature

IOC Executive Board

Mar 2021

IOC Approves Agenda 2020+5

- a strategic roadmap and the Olympic movement through to 2025.

137th IOC Session

What Happens Now ?

Targeted Dialogue with Brisbane 2032 OCLG

IOC Future Host Commission + OCLG

OCLG

Completion of IOC Questionnaire and other documents which iron out the finer details.

OCLG

Future Host Commission recommends preferred candidate to IOC Executive Board

IOC Future Host Commission

IOC Executive Board recommends preferred 2032 candidate to IOC Session

IOC Executive Board

138th IOC Session, 20-21 July, 2021 in Tokyo.

IOC Session Votes on Games’ 2032 host

IOC 

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Geez, everyone knew that for months already. The selection process has been rendered so irrelevant it's no wonder only the Gulf states really want to stage the Olympics.

Well it's true that Brisbane was a fait accompli  but it is a very good choice .

By far the best Olympics in my lifetime was Sydney  so I 'd say they are very good at these things 

The major  Australian cities already have great sporting infrastructure 

Brisbane is sub tropical so their "winter " is like a Northern European summer 

16 minutes ago, rajiv said:

Well it's true that Brisbane was a fait accompli  but it is a very good choice .

By far the best Olympics in my lifetime was Sydney  so I 'd say they are very good at these things 

The major  Australian cities already have great sporting infrastructure 

Brisbane is sub tropical so their "winter " is like a Northern European summer 

It's been 69 years since northern Europe last hosted SOG :p

IOC is running out of ideas after Brisbane if they want to block Qatar from hosting SOG. Flexing it between USA, France, UK and Australia every four times won't cut it anymore.

just watched the weather forecast for the next 14 days in Brisbane...

Highs between 20 and 24° C, Lows at night between 8 and 12° C...

Imho the proposed dates (July 23rd/August, 8th...just like this year) are a bit too ambitious and risky...better move to late August/early September...

and don't tell me that there's no time to do it...it's 11 years from now...

Germany is obviously the most "due" nation to host the Summer Games if we exclude those who either don't have the economy for it (like Hungary) or have zero history in almost every Olympic sport (like Qatar). Germany should and will get 2036 if they want to host it.