website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2032 Bid Process

9 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I wasn’t talking about sporting relevance (which you would have known if you would have bothered to ask instead of making assumptions). I was referring to political relevance/population size. Countries like Austria or Switzerland are also regularly doing great at Winter Olympics, but that doesn’t mean that they should host Olympics twice in such a short period. 
The Netherlands are a comparable country, but no one would think that they should host the Olympics two times out of nine editions.

What does politics have to do with anything? This is about sports. Should Denmark not be allowed to host the men's handball championships because they aren't as relevant politically, yet are one of the top nations in the sport?

I also don't mind Austria or Switzerland hosting the Winter Olympics because they too are quite relevant in winter sports. Similarly the Netherlands could host the Summer Olympics if it wants to. We are also talking about a 32 year gap, in different cities so I don't see quite the fuss.

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Crazy that this horrible comment got two upvotes ... at least it is a good reminder of who not to take seriously.

a) Germany hosted the Olympics before (Berlin and Munich)

b) You have no idea which countries I consider relevant

c) Germany is actually planning to bid for the Olympics in 2032 and has bid for Olympics between 2000 and now

Sorry I meant to say recently. Germany's last hosting was in 1972. 

All of the bigger countries have hosted an Olympiad since then. 

I support Indonesia. They just host 2018 Asian Games and I see big potential there in coming decade. OG, infrastructure development and GDP growth are linked together for fast-pace big developing country. But also it may be viewed as risk and gamble by IOC.

Brisbane and south east Queensland was by far the best choice . people who know about these things know that Australia does these things very well and many people  ( although none here  ) like Australia and Australians . People will have a smile on their face in Australia . Other countries not so much

6 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

I support Indonesia. They just host 2018 Asian Games and I see big potential there in coming decade. OG, infrastructure development and GDP growth are linked together for fast-pace big developing country. But also it may be viewed as risk and gamble by IOC.

I appreciate the support, but 2032 is not for us. The Asian Games might seems super successful for Indonesia at a glance, but in reality quite a handful problems are swept under the rug under the premise of 'because we are replacing Vietnam'. Ticketing mess and lack for proper indoor venues (we don't have one with a net 10k capacity, which is sad for a 4th most populous country) are the major problems. Also don't forget on Indonesia still need to solve on how to handle the participation of Israeli delegation.

Concerning the bigger countries that have hosted Summer Olympics in terms of economy/political relevance/population size we have

USA (will host in 2028)
France (will host in 2024)
Japan 2020
G.Britain 2012
Australia 2000
Canada 1976
Germany 1972
Italy 1960

And from major emerging economies

Brazil 2016
China 2008
Russia (as USSR) 1980

My view for the countries that hosted SOG long time ago:
Russia because of doping is excluded as potential host in forthcoming future.
Germany, they give too much importance on the cost of the games as we saw in 2022 WOG and 2024 SOG process when the citizens of Munich and Hamburg respectivelyrejected the bids
Italy has the same financial issues as Spain and lack strong government support . They won 2026 Winter Olympics however due to the fact that about 85% of competition venues already existed

So which country is left? Canada/Toronto!!

1 hour ago, Griff88 said:

I appreciate the support, but 2032 is not for us. The Asian Games might seems super successful for Indonesia at a glance, but in reality quite a handful problems are swept under the rug under the premise of 'because we are replacing Vietnam'. Ticketing mess and lack for proper indoor venues (we don't have one with a net 10k capacity, which is sad for a 4th most populous country) are the major problems. Also don't forget on Indonesia still need to solve on how to handle the participation of Israeli delegation.

Well the next time SOG goes back to Asia Pacific will be after 2040. Hope I am still healthy that time.:cool:

17 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

6th in size by area, 13th in GDP, 55th in population. Brisbane also hosted the World Expo in 1988.

I think calling them irrelevant is quite harsh. I do agree that other countries should be given a fair chance to mount a bid for 2032, but there hasn’t really been a better bid floated.

Area doesn’t matter, GDP and population size do.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

17 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

What does politics have to do with anything? This is about sports. Should Denmark not be allowed to host the men's handball championships because they aren't as relevant politically, yet are one of the top nations in the sport?

I also don't mind Austria or Switzerland hosting the Winter Olympics because they too are quite relevant in winter sports. Similarly the Netherlands could host the Summer Olympics if it wants to. We are also talking about a 32 year gap, in different cities so I don't see quite the fuss.

I never said that they shouldn’t host, but that they shouldn’t host again so soon. The Olympics are a global event and Never were only about Sport (otherwise I doubt that we for example would have had olympics in Sochi), so if a country with 25 million people hosts them twice in 32 years while a country with 1.5 billion people has hosted them only once, it doesn’t really represent the weight of those nations. 25 million people get to enjoy the Olympics twice in 32 years in their home country, while India and China combined (3 billion people) have only hosted the Olympics once combined. It is also difficult to say that they only host it because no one else wants to, when in fact other nations wanted to host but got excluded before even being able to bid.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.