website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2036 Bid Process

hckošice

On 3/23/2022 at 2:11 AM, Cobi said:

Alejandro Blanco didn't say anything about the favorite bid of IOC, but some Spanish journalists suggested Egypt, India or Germany as the potential favorites of Thomas Bach.

I lived in Cairo for a little while.  In no way are they ready to host an Olympics.  I visited Rio in 2015 and they were light years ahead of where Cairo is now in terms of infrastructure, so if they considered Rio a failure then Cairo would be a disaster.  I realize they just built a new capital and it would be in 14 years, but I just don't see how they could ever get to an Olympic host level in that time.  Having said that, it would be very cool for Egypt to host, have the marathon end at the Spinx, sailing in the Red Sea, beach volleyball by the pyramids, etc.  But I just can't see it happening that soon.  

I've always said Istanbul would be a great location, though, if they want to bid.  

1 hour ago, George_D said:

if we consider that is Europe's turn again after 12 years then excluding Spain only Germany or Italy could be the favorite bid.

Great Britain could put in a strong bid too. I'd like to see the Netherlands put in an attempt...

1 hour ago, George_D said:

2012-2036, its 24 years, not too many. Even US needed 32 years after their last Olympics

The difference between Los Angeles and Atlanta was 12 years and to be fair they could have gotten the 2024 games if they didn't go for the deal proposed by the IOC and they didn't try a bid for 2020 due to politics.

If the 2036 games are going to Europe and Spain isn't good enough that only leaves a small handful of possible nations: :FRA :GER :GBR :ITA :NED :RUS countries like :AZE :BEL :HUN :POL :SWE :SUI :TUR etc. don't have the financial clout.

Of the six nations, France is too soon and Russia is a non-starter for other reasons. I also don't think the IOC will want to remind people of the 1936 games so Germany is probably not a "preferred candidate" so Great Britain doesn't have much competition.

Of course, the games could go to an Asian country in which case :CHN and :KOR will be the favourites or perhaps they want to go the Brazil route and awarded it to :IND :INA :EGY :RSA etc.

13 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Great Britain could put in a strong bid too. I'd like to see the Netherlands put in an attempt...

If the IOC is serious about a two country rule, a Netherlands-Belgium joint Games would be nice to see.

16 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I also don't think the IOC will want to remind people of the 1936 games so Germany is probably not a "preferred candidate" so Great Britain doesn't have much competition.

yes but from the other side, Bach's term is concluded in 2025, so 2036 will be the last chance to give an Olympics to his country :)

• 2 weeks later...