website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I actually remember watching Gerda Weissensteiner on live TV. Does this qualify for the supercentanarian class? :p

I'm disappointed you're from a time where there was live TV.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

It was popular only in Alto Adige/Sudtirol and in Austria (what surprise :p). Probability 90% of international events are hosted by this two regions

Only 4 countries ever won medals in Natural Track Luge World Championships: Italy, Austria, Russia (Soviet Union) and Poland. And every Polish medal has been won by the two guys in doubles I mentioned earlier. Hell, this could be the most exclusive sport in the world, more nations have won World Cup medals in rugby & cricket :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIL_World_Luge_Natural_Track_Championships

8 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Yes, I'm shocked how I graduated from school without the aid of internet & cell phones :cool:  I actually read real paper books in my life too! :lol:

Ah, you mean those things I've got around 200 of? Including several about the Olympics, to keep it on-topic :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Yeah, if IOC approves natural track luge, then we have a conclusive proof that they will do just about anything to keep the hosts happy and boost their medal count.

Watch out for MMA in 2028 and pencak silat whenever Indonesia hosts it. I mean, even pencak silat is not nearly as exclusive as natural track luge - 23 nations have won medals at WCh level.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

9 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Isn't like Italy the place where natural track luge is the most popular?

it's basically only a South Tyrolean thing...in the rest of the Country it's almost unknown (as many winter sports) and it never goes on our National TV...

so, I wouldn't say "it's popular"...rather, it's a sport where the Italian NOC can win a lot of medals...;)

in Olympic terms, it's Italy vs Austria with Russia just behind...

Poland used to have great doubles (they even won world cups and world champs), but they're no longer a force...

the other participating Nations (at the world cup/champs there are always a good number showin'up) are quite far behind the top 3, however...

Edited by phelps

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Really it deserves a place at this point. Rumor has it that they’ll look to add Ski Mountaineering as well. They have pretty good arguments for its inclusion as well.

yeah, but at the moment it's only an unofficial proposal, an idea, just like Ice Climbing (however, Dolomites would be the perfect landscape for Ski Mountaineering...I really hope they can get that, too)...

meanwhile it looks that for NTL they've started all the official burocratic tasks to have it in the 2026 Games...

Is there any source about this NTL2026 thing? Like a link I could link to in other places? :p