website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2026 Bid Process

Sion, Innsbruck, potentially Lillehammer......I can't remember the last time I've had this high hopes for a Winter Olympics venue :cheer:

Almaty would be great too if they do not make the idiotic decision to destroy (build a roof over) the legendary Medeo ice track. Which they probably would, so, no Almaty then.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sion, Innsbruck, potentially Lillehammer......I can't remember the last time I've had this high hopes for a Winter Olympics venue :cheer:

Almaty would be great too if they do not make the idiotic decision to destroy (build a roof over) the legendary Medeo ice track. Which they probably would, so, no Almaty then.

As if Medeo is hosting anything these days... :p Besides, requirement for Olympics is indoor venue.

2022 bidding had Oslo/Stockholm/Krakow at this stage, so it's not like I can believe any European bid at this point. :d

#banbestmen

What is the purpose of permament areas? I understand that they are cheap, but this way Olympics bring nothing new to the host country, as the infrastructure isn't developed with new venues, where young athletes could train. The idea of using existing venues only leads us to giving Olympics to the same cities till the end of the world as many countries has less energy to build new arenas without being sure that they will be used in highest level of competition.

17 minutes ago, dcro said:

As if Medeo is hosting anything these days... :p Besides, requirement for Olympics is indoor venue.

The speed skating at last winter's Winter Universiade was there and it was absolutely epic, the most beautiful speed skating competition I've ever seen :wub: (together with the world champs in Inzell in 200x, before they messed that up with a roof as well)

So please no Almaty then, it's not worth destroying a legendary venue. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

And Oslo/Stockholm/Krakow is at least ten levels of awesomeness lower than Sion/Innsbruck/Lillehammer :d 

USOC will decide in 2 weeks if they will bid for the 2026 Games, the choices are Denver, Salt Lake City or Reno-Tahoe (or possibly Reno-Tahoe-Vegas)

I think they will make a mistake, we already have the 2028 games and the 2026 FIFA World Cup, take a breather guys

4 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

USOC will decide in 2 weeks if they will bid for the 2026 Games, the choices are Denver, Salt Lake City or Reno-Tahoe (or possibly Reno-Tahoe-Vegas)

I think they will make a mistake, we already have the 2028 games and the 2026 FIFA World Cup, take a breather guys

That is probably what they will decide on and decide on bidding for 2030.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Maxim Fastovsky:

Also, if they have the chance, IOC will probably give the Games to central Europe for the first time since 2006.

• 3 weeks later...

Innsbruck's bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics is on course to survive with results at the halfway stage of counting in today's referendum revealing that 52.64 per cent of voters were in favour of the candidature.

There was a particularly encouraging result for those behind the Austrian effort in Hochfilzen, due to be the venue for biathlon, as 80.71 per cent voted in favour.

Seefeld, which would stage Nordic sports if the campaign from the Austrian city is successful, also gave Innsbruck's candidature the green light, with 65.40 per cent answering yes.

But Kühtai, where snowboarding and freestyle competitions would be held, went against, with 56.26 per cent voting no.

More news to follow.