website statistics

Your Top 3 Favourite National Anthems

Olympian1010

Gold: :RUS - the Soviet is better.

Silver: :KAZ - Epic. When I think of power I think of this anthem.

Bronze: :RSA - Beautiful medley of languages. Its "twin anthem" of :ZAM is not as good.

Special mentions: :NEP :GRE

Also, as mentioned above :GDR is fantastic. 

Gold - :RUS Definitely a masterpiece

Silver - :RSA Switching languages has never been more fun

Bronze - :UKR I really love the line "our enemy will vanish like dew under the sun" (I used it as my bio on my social media accounts)

Special mentions: :NEP   :TKM

Since I’m not very good with tables, I’m going to wait few days to publish the medal table.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Gold - :GDR

Silver - :NED

Bronze - :JPN

Please choose another Gold Medalist. East Germany does not satisfy the requirements (you can leave as gold, but choose another one as well please)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, amen09 said:

Gold : Russia 

Silver :Brazil

Bronze : Italia

Special mentions :  Algeria , Irak ,France  

Worst : national anthem  who glorifies something else besides the nation (like the King...)  :ENG :MAR :KSA .....

:ENG doesn't have an official anthem nor does it have an NOC. The closest thing to an anthem is probably "Jerusalem" which is a call for social justice and doesn't glorify anything apart perhaps from the English countryside.

1/ :RUS

2/:RSA

3/:FRA

However, if it were not for the restrictions I would go for :WAL which manages to be both beautiful and stirring and always brings a tear to my eye even though I am not from that country. Like a number of others I also have a soft spot for :GDR despite what it represents.

7 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

1/ :RUS

2/:RSA

3/:FRA

However, if it were not for the restrictions I would go for :WAL which manages to be both beautiful and stirring and always brings a tear to my eye even though I am not from that country. Like a number of others I also have a soft spot for :GDR despite what it represents.

I’m going to have a commonwealth themed one in 2021 or 2022 to celebrate the games. :WAL can get chosen then. I quite like “Jerusalem” by the way. Scotland’s got an odd song they use too.

7 hours ago, dcro said:

But why exactly? That's so arbitrary. :wacko:

Because this is a celebration of Olympic anthems. East Germany doesn’t exist and they don’t have a current NOC. If the anthem is the same as current Germany, I can except it.