website statistics

Men's Boxing AIBA World Championships 2019

Totallympics

Just now, LDOG said:

Lately I feel like FAB has completely given up on the men's team and is focusing everything on the Sánchez sisters.

I doubt that. Argentina will host a continental qualifier, so probably they will take a myriad of quotas again.

#banbestmen

Expecting absolutely nothing from these championships for our team. Our only medal winner last time has gone pro and generally there is no real buzz around Irish amateur boxing these days (maybe only for the women's team). We never recovered from the shame of losing our top coach Billy Walsh to America (our federation are always in-fighting) and Rio 2016 just killed whatever embers were left.

Just now, Federer91 said:

Don't know how their seeding system works (if there is a reason at all given it's AIBA), but i've seen in at least 2 categories boxers from the Dominican republic, also Jordan, Japan, Ivory Coast, even Slovakia being seeded ( :p )

they only count results from the aiba sanctioned tournaments through the year...if you don't send a team there, you don't have any chance to be seeded at the world champs...

and considering that most of those tournaments are spread around the world in some 3rd world Nations, it's quite obvious that many teams from Europe tend to skip those trips, meanwhile those Countries who host a tournament or benefit from the aiba developing program (that pays the travel tips to them) have a lot more chances, despite their fighters are not the best nor the most well known in our area...

1 hour ago, konig said:

Argentina is not participating.......OK.

actually, Argentina is starting in Ekaterinburg...without specifically searching for that, I saw a fighter named Brian Agustin Allegri in the -69kg class (facing a man from :MON in round #1)...

and Daniel Francisco Veron in the -75kg class (facing :SWE Adam Chartoi in round #1)...

Edited by phelps

Italy, instead, only have 5 boxers in Ekaterinburg, with only 2 of them being the real top tier of the team...

Salvatore Cavallaro is seeded no.4 in the -75kg class and has a quite easy route to the semis...if he's in top shape and the judges don't kill him, he should get a bronze medal...

meanwhile our raising star, Aziz Mouhiddine, didn't have a favourable draw in the men's -91kg...he's set to fight against :KAZVassily Levit in the quarterfinals, which means that he won't come home with a medal no matter what happens on the ring...not in a tournament held under aiba organization, at least...

Justo ahora, phelps dijo:

actually, Argentina is starting in Ekaterinburg...without specifically searching for that, I saw a fighter named Brian Agustin Allegri in the -69kg class (facing a man from :MON in round #1)...

That's probably Brian Arregui, the YOG champion.