website statistics

Which are your Nation's Best and Worst Olympic Games ever?

vlad

Summer games: Best in numbers were Amsterdam 28 & London 48 (3-3-1 both times). 

Worst were Montreal 76 and LA 84, zeroed both times with over 60 athletes. A very dark age for both the country and it's sport. 

In winter olympics it has been always been the same: nothing.

well, this one is easy.

Best - Beijing 2008. Hammering and destroying the canoeing Slalom competition

Worst - London 2012. Hopefully the only Summer Olympics in history of Slovakia without gold medal

+ a small mention to Sydney 2000 thanks our biggest delegation in history ncluding 3 team sports (M Football, M Water Polo and W Basketball) the only games with SVK representatives in team sports

For Winter Olympics.

Best - Vancouver 2010 all the way, First historic gold, 3 medals (1-1-1), and unforgettable journey of our hockey warriors. + the biggest delegation with both hockey teams

even if in terms of medals PyeongChang is the most successful with 1-2-0

Worst - Salt Lake 2002 and the NHL bullshit throwing away one of our biggest medal chances in Ice Hockey not allowing our stars to play in the first round, consequences with only 12 players from domestic league (the rest was prepared for the NHL-ers from the second round) we lost all games, the NHLers being allowed only to play the 13trh place match we won against France without any problem.

the fun fact, 3 months later with almost all the NHL-ers we became for the first and only time World Champions.

Poland won 7 golds at four different Olympics and historically the best is Montreal 1976 when we had 26 medals - second most only to the Moscow boycott so that one doesn't really count.

For the post-communism era (also Soviet block collapse and all that) the best is Atlanta 1996 by far.

The worst? Outside of the two post-war OG when Poland was still in the gutter, the worst must be 2004 Athens. Only 10 medals in total, our worst total since Melbourne 1956. But in Beijing, London & Rio we only won 11 medals total so it's nothing to write home about.

Winter Games is much easier: best is 2014 Sochi, 4 golds & six total. Worst? Pick anything! Prior to Salt Lake City 2002 we've won medals at only three WOG - 1956, 1960 & 1972. The worst is probably Albertville 1992 - we had ONE top 10 finish all games - 8th in nordic combined :rolleyes:

Edited by Monzanator

I could look at the medal tables but that doesn't really say that much about good or bad Olympics, and I'm not old enough to remember those from the early 90's or before, so...tough question :p 

I remember the speed skating at Salt Lake City and Jochem Uytdehaage's epic sub-13 made a big impression on young me :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Best - Rio 2016 becoming the first nation ever to win more medals at the subsequent games than at their home games! And beating China to second place on the medals table. 

Worst - Atlanta 1996 we won just 1 gold medal, but it turned out to be exactly what we needed! The government and national lottery decided to invest in elite sport to ensure such a humiliation never happened again and it's only got better ever since!

Winter games: What can I say? :lol: A special mention to Isabel Clark, the best result from a brazilian athlete at winter games so far. 9th place in Snowboard Cross in Turin 2006.

Summer games: In terms of number of medals, the worst Olympic Games were in Paris 1924, Los Angeles 1932, and Berlim 1936 without any medals. But, recently, Sydney 2000 was the worst, I remember the frustation when it finished without any gold medal, after a few participations improving Brazil's performance.

The best, of course, was Rio 2016.