website statistics

Archery at the Pacific Games 2019

hckošice

6 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

As much as I like the Pacific nations to win quotas, it doesn't belong to them. New Zealand may not take the quota either, they were 56/58 at the World Championships, well below their standard. This likely comes down to how many nations form a mixed team. In 2016, 24 nations had at least one male and one female archer. In that scenario we could see New Zealand declining a quota considering they will be the weakest team on paper (maybe an African nation might be weaker).

Regardless, they will still have one male archer quota to fight over (likely going to Fiji)

I feel like this was a test for their team. If they could beat Australia, then they get to go to Tokyo.

It looks similar to what they did in synchronized swimming for Rio 2016. They only entered a team for the qualificaton event, and not a duet. It looked as though they wanted their team to "earn" a place.

#banbestmen

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, dcro said:

I feel like this was a test for their team. If they could beat Australia, then they get to go to Tokyo.

It looks similar to what they did in synchronized swimming for Rio 2016. They only entered a team for the qualificaton event, and not a duet. It looked as though they wanted their team to "earn" a place.

Perhaps, but I don't think beating Australia once, especially since it wasn't their best team will be enough (neither archer competed at the World Championships). No doubt they will use this as an argument for them to be selected, but the official New Zealand Olympic Committee twitter pretty much said that it's not guaranteed yet.

Currently we have 10 nations that are eligible to compete in mixed team. Two more are guaranteed as continental representatives. New Zealand is currently in the clear, but once that number approaches 20 they are going to need some individual results to justify their quota.