website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2019

hckošice

As always in :ARG we only care about the first day of Judo competitions.

I doubt Paula can defend her medal from last year, she isn't in good health. I see a dangerous korean in her 1/16 way, I think that will be the end of the road, sadly. 

Visually these new tatami are easier on the eyes (more ascetic), but I am really going to miss the old yellow and red one.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Rashnonejad only lasted 3 minutes in Tokyo. :p

he won silver in Asian Champs (which is a big achievement considering the level of Judo in Asia) in his first year with Iran national team but then left Iran with some funny claims like "they were mean to me in Judo federation" apparently nowadays that's good enough for being a refugee :d despite living (or whatever else) in the Netherlands he still has to participate under "IJF" name, not a loss for the NED. I highly doubt he ever achieves anything for any NOC.

today's early action recap...

women's -48kg semifinals

:JPN Funa Tonaki vs :KOS Distria Krasniqi
:UKR Daria Bilodid vs :MGL Urantsetseg Munkhbat

repechage round

:FRA Melanie Clement vs :ARG Paula Pareto (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Bilodid vs Munkhbat fight)
:ESP Laura Martinez Abelenda vs :KAZ Otgontsetseg Galbadrakh  (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Tonaki vs Krasniqi fight)

men's -60kg semifinals

:JPN Ryuju Nagayama vs :GEO Lukhumi Chkhvimiani
:UZB Sharafuddin Lutfillaev vs :KAZ Gusman Kyrgyzbayev

repechage round

:TPE Yang Yung Wei vs :KAZ Yeldos Smetov (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Lutfillaev vs Kyrgyzbayev fight)
:JPN Naohisa Takato vs :KGZ Kubanychbek Aibek Uulu  (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Nagayama vs Chkhvimiani fight)

Since when does Afghanistan have to fight with IJF on their clothes instead of AFG?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Yesterday's final action recap...

women's -48kg
Gold: :UKR Daria Bilodid

Silver: :JPN Funa Tonaki

Bronze: :KOS Distria Krasniqi & :MGL Urantsetseg Munkhbat

men's -60kg

Gold: :GEO Lukhumi Chkhvimiani
Silver: :UZB Sharafuddin Lutfillaev

Bronze: :JPN Ryuju Nagayama & :KAZ Yeldos Smetov

today's early action recap...

women's -52kg semifinals

:FRA Amandine Bouchard vs :RUS Natalia Kuziutina
:JPN Uta Abe vs :KOS Majlinda Kelmendi

repechage round

:POR Joana Ramos vs :BEL Charline Van Snick (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Abe vs Kelmendi fight)
:GBR Chelsie Giles vs :JPN Ai Shishime  (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Bouchard vs Kuziutina fight)

men's -66kg semifinals

:KOR Kim Lim Hwan vs :MDA Denis Vieru
:JPN Joshiro Maruyama vs :JPN Hifumi Abe

repechage round

:UKR Bogdan Iadov vs :ITA Manuel Lombardo (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Maruyama vs Abe fight)
:EGY Mohamed Abdelmawgoud vs :MGL Baskhuu Yondonperenlei  (winner going for Bronze vs loser of Kim vs Vieru fight)

well, yesterday we saw some surprising fights among the guys, meanwhile the expected match for Gold was actually the women's outcome...

and the Ukranian sensation, Daria Bilodid, did it again...18 years young and already twice senior world champion...wow!

in the men's division, painful day for Japan, who had their 2 guys fighting each other only for a not so consolating Bronze medal...however, it turned out to be a wonderful, spectacular fight, with Nagayama turning things around at the last second against the 2018 world champion, Takato...

the unexpected Gold medal went instead to Georgia...and not even with their supposed no.1 guy...

but Chkhvimiani had the day of his life, escaping many times through the tournament from very difficult situations and closing all of his bouts with authority...well deserved world title for him...