website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2019

hckošice

Il y a 3 heures, OlympicsFan a dit :

Absolutely insane results for France and Portugal so far. I feel like every year France has one freak world championships where they get results that they can never achieve again. I think a couple of years ago they won like half of the gold medals at the fencing world cjampionships ...

Well, Judo has always been a really strong sport for us. If I believe Sir Wikipedia, we are the second country that won the most medals at the world championships since their beginning, behind Japan.  It's very popular in the country, being the fourth sport in terms of number of licensees.

Buut three gold medals are a big surprise. Clarisse Agbegnenou was expected, but much less Gahié and Malonga, who are also still young. It's great for them and their chance to qualify in Tokyo 2020, because their categories are the most competitive in France (Pinot getting a Bronze medal in 70 kg for example).

Then, these three girls were very impressive in these championships, which is very positive. Agbegnenou vs. Tashiro was a terrifying fight, I loved it ! And I think Gahié won all hers fights with ground actions, which is "bizarre" for French Judo.

We had three other 5th place for the three other women's categories, a fantastic job for ours girls ! :d:thumbup:

On the men's side... Yeah, nothing spectacular. Only one qualified for quarter finals, Clerget, who then won a Bronze Medal (and it's great for him ! ). I really don't know why the men side is now so lackluster.

The shameful thing is that we don't have any fighter for the +100, the Federation giving absolutely no chance for youngers fighters to test themselves because they are preparing the return of Teddy Riner... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just now, dcro said:

Yoko Ono didn't compete. :mumble:

no, she wasn't selected (each team has max 9 spots available for the 7 weight classes in each gender, so a Nation like Japan can't double start all the weights, as obviously they want a medal in each of the 14 categories...and Ono is not the Japanese champion/no.1)...

Edited by phelps

Just now, phelps said:

Jorge Fonseca today was absolutely amazing...I loved all of his throws and all of his enthusiasm on the mat...Judo needs more personalities like him...

Plus the way he avoided the ippon with one minute to go in the final, what the hell :yikes::bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Netherlands and France are collecting medals like crazy + what the hell is going on with Kosovo?

Japan already seems to fade a bit, will be interesting to see how many golds they will actually win next year. I expected them to be in a better position by now in sports like gymnastics or swimming. Wrestling and judo are the sports that could still get them a 3rd or 4th place in the medal table.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

+ what the hell is going on with Kosovo?

That's what happens when a small nation wins at the Olympics, everyone practices that sport.

Though to be fair, looking at the rankings Kosovo only has 5 relevant judoka, four of which are in the top 10 of the Olympic rankings. They are just cashing in on their chances.