website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2019

hckošice

That was a sad, sad men's 81kg from the semi's on.

That women's 63kg final though, holy cow :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, phelps said:

surely it could be a normal reaction for someone who already lost his title in the previous match and then doesn't think it's worth the effort to save even the bronze medal...

I think there are many athletes who would have the same feeling (even if it doesn't look professional at 100%, I guess it's human)...

I can tell you here everybody (and I mean everybody) is convinced that Mollaei lost both matches intentionally ! actually I'm starting to think maybe they saw something I didn't notice :d and maybe I'm wrong and he is such a great actor :p

of course the official news websites are silent about it, they just reported his results, but all of those Persian speaking media outside of Iran are reporting this like Mollaei lost on purpose.

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I can tell you here everybody (and I mean everybody) is convinced that Mollaei lost both matches intentionally ! actually I'm starting to think maybe they saw something I didn't notice :d and maybe I'm wrong and he is such a great actor :p

of course the official news websites are silent about it, they just reported his results, but all of those Persian speaking media outside of Iran are reporting this like Mollaei lost on purpose.

I guess that they're a little bit biased (but just a little)...;)

imho, after watching the fights, he didn't lost on purpose even the match vs Casse (despite knowing that Muki was already qualified to the gold medal match)...

but the only one who really knows what he actually did is Saeid himself...we will never know the "real truth", but just interpretations of it...

hace 40 minutos, ChandlerMne dijo:

Why would Mollaei lose on purpose when he had certain medal with win against Casse? I will try to watch his match just to convince myself but i highly doubt that he lost on purpose.

Because, one on side, he simply can't be on the same tatami with an israeli and, on the other side, I imagine that faking a loss is easier than winning the semi and then withdraw from the final, which would probably get him in serious trouble with IJF if he can't give a good reason. 

Regardless, as said before by mhsn, it seems he also isn't allowed to be in a medal ceremony in which the Israel anthem is played, so even winning any medal wasn't an option for him today. 

Just now, LDOG said:

Because, one on side, he simply can't be on the same tatami with an israeli and, on the other side, I imagine that faking a loss is easier than winning the semi and then withdraw from the final, which would probably get him in serious trouble with IJF if he can't give a good reason. 

Regardless, as said before by mhsn, it seems he also isn't allowed to be in a medal ceremony in which the Israel anthem is played, so even winning any medal wasn't an option for him today. 

Injury can also be faked but i agree, loss is always better option in these cases. 

Other explanation actually cleared my doubts. For a moment, i forgot that after medal bouts there is also a medal ceremony, and that Iran wouldnt allow some mixture with Muki, Butbul or Sasson even at podium.

Since these things just keep repeating, i can only feel sorry for those good Iranian judokas that are hostages of some policy that is at least doubtfull.

Ok, those topics are sensitive, but if Iran or any other country intend to sacrifice some medal because of principle, then i am also fine with it. But i am affraid that judo in Iran will be in great danger because of that policy. Israel is getting stronger every year in many disciplines.

What would Iran do if some Israeli starts winning on taekwondo or wrestling mats? What about weightlifting? All those sports are almost national sport in Iran and majority of medals are won in these sports. I know thats theory for now, but things keep changing.

2 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Injury can also be faked but i agree, loss is always better option in these cases. 

Other explanation actually cleared my doubts. For a moment, i forgot that after medal bouts there is also a medal ceremony, and that Iran wouldnt allow some mixture with Muki, Butbul or Sasson even at podium.

Since these things just keep repeating, i can only feel sorry for those good Iranian judokas that are hostages of some policy that is at least doubtfull.

Ok, those topics are sensitive, but if Iran or any other country intend to sacrifice some medal because of principle, then i am also fine with it. But i am affraid that judo in Iran will be in great danger because of that policy. Israel is getting stronger every year in many disciplines.

What would Iran do if some Israeli starts winning on taekwondo or wrestling mats? What about weightlifting? All those sports are almost national sport in Iran and majority of medals are won in these sports. I know thats theory for now, but things keep changing.

you can't fake injury several times, it happened before, no more room for that !

you had a good point here, with this, they are only punishing our own athletes, I don't know why people asking for more "punishment" just because it's Iran ? I never said anybody asks for banning Algeria for example. of course those who made such policy don't care if they IJF or IOC bans Iran or something, people probably don't remember Iran was the only ( am I right ?) country boycotted both 1980 and 1984 Olympics, of course we are not living in 1980s, there is no charismatic leader anymore and they have to justify their actions but they always say "sacrificing a medal is nothing comparing to those sacrificed their lives for the country" and in fact the only sport that matters in Iran is football . that's why the only international organization that can force a serious change in Iran is FIFA, not even UN but FIFA. FIFA did that before in 2006 and is doing it again on another matter, and in a good way.

of course Judo is half dead here and if they continue the new policy of not even participating wherever Israel participates, there will be no motivation left for younger athletes to continue this path. in past they would count on luck and the draw but after that letter to IJF they decided to simply not participate. this way this is better to completely shut down Judo here.

well that's the question I don't want to know the answer ! :( at least for now Israel sucks in almost every sport, in other sports they just have to avoid Israel in the first round and Israel usually don't go any further but what if they improve ? I don't know. actually Israel had won only 1 medal in World Taekwondo Championship and that medal happened because their fighter had to face Iran in QF back in 2005 and you know the rest ...

btw, that only applies to head to head sports, weightlifting is not included. unless they have to stand on the same podium.

Edited by MHSN

4 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Israel will never be good in any of those.  The judo is in a special place because of 92 and Oren Smadja and Yael Arad.  This is our national sport.  Used to be sailing too however that went to the back burner

In the Olympics out of 9 medals.  Only 1 came from something other then sailing and judo.   2000 Michael Kalganov in canoe sprint

Edited by Maxim Fastovsky