website statistics

Judo IJF World Championships 2019

hckošice

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

And now taking selfies with kids. He probably stands zero chance of taking the Olympic spot from Abe though?

well, I think he already almost secured the Japanese spot at the Games, since he beat Abe first at the All Japan Championships earlier this Spring and then he did it once again today (not only by getting a better placement, but winning the direct match up, too)...

unless Abe destroys him more than once next year, I fear that the Japanese selection in this class is done and dusted...and not in favour of Abe...

Edited by phelps

Just now, phelps said:

well, I think he already almost secured the Japanese spot at the Games, since he beat Abe first at the All Japan Championships earlier this Spring and then he did it once again today (not only by getting a better placement, but winning the direct match up, too)...

unless Abe destroys him more than once next year, I fear that the Japanese selection in this class is done and dusted...and not in favour of Abe...

What if Abe is higher in the World Rankings? I've heard that All-Japan Champs are more important for the Japanese selection but sometimes they still favor the designated hero over the underdog?

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

What if Abe is higher in the World Rankings? I've heard that All-Japan Champs are more important for the Japanese selection but sometimes they still favor the designated hero over the underdog?

I don't know the exact selection criteria of the Japanese team, but I'm sure that the IJF Ranking doesn't count anything for them, as they participate only in a few tournaments a year to secure the eligibility for the Games (all the athletes from no.1 to the last qualified judo player's position in each class are eligible to start in Tokyo, then it's up to the single NOCs to take their decision if they have more than one)...

I've read something about a combination of results of the 2019 and 2020 All Japan Champs and these world champs as their main selection tournaments, but as I wrote I don't know the details...

however, I'm sure about one thing...they will be fair to all the competitors and strict in their evaluation...if they say: "you need to do X, Y and Z to win the quota", then if you do it, you get it...there's no place for personal interpretation in their culture...

Just now, bestmen said:

only 2 weigth per day , bad organization

it's the opposite...it's a perfect organization...only 2 mats and 2 weights per day, so to give people the chance to watch a lot of fights...

it should be taken as the example by all the fight sports, instead of putting 200 mats and matches at the same time in the schedule (and maybe not even organize a good tv/streaming coverage)...

8 minutes ago, phelps said:

I don't know the exact selection criteria of the Japanese team, but I'm sure that the IJF Ranking doesn't count anything for them, as they participate only in a few tournaments a year to secure the eligibility for the Games (all the athletes from no.1 to the last qualified judo player's position in each class are eligible to start in Tokyo, then it's up to the single NOCs to take their decision if they have more than one)...

I've read something about a combination of results of the 2019 and 2020 All Japan Champs and these world champs as their main selection tournaments, but as I wrote I don't know the details...

however, I'm sure about one thing...they will be fair to all the competitors and strict in their evaluation...if they say: "you need to do X, Y and Z to win the quota", then if you do it, you get it...there's no place for personal interpretation in their culture...

I recall Japan taking some risks with Kaori Matsumoto over Aiko Sato for 2012 (Matsumoto won the Grand Slam in Tokyo but Sato was the reigning champion) and Haruna Asami was a two-time reigning World Champion and still got passed over for Tomoko Fukumi whom she beat both times in the WC final. However she could never win the All-Japan title until 2013 and Fukumi was IJF ranking leader for 4 years.

frankly, I'm quite disgusted! :facepalm::thumbdown:

as IJF's boss likes Italian pop/folk singers, he should switch their soundtrack from Al Bano and his "felicità" (happyness) to Antonello Venditti his "in questo mondo di ladri" (in this world of thieves)...:evil::pope:

it would be definitely more appropriate to what I've watched in the last couple of days...:whistle::facepalm::wall: