website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022 Qualification Systems

11 minutes ago, dcro said:

Great news!! Big countries have a long tradition of sending 20 athletes, and then only letting 13-15 compete. If there ever was a waste of quotas!

I think Alpine Should have been cut to 8-10 as well. Though as I said, I’m saving my opinion and observations for the podcast.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I think Alpine Should have been cut to 8-10 as well. Though as I said, I’m saving my opinion and observations for the podcast.

Agreed. Alpine should have had its max team size cut as well. And freestyle/snowboarding to max 3 per event.

Just now, intoronto said:

Agreed. Alpine should have had its max team size cut as well. And freestyle/snowboarding to max 3 per event.

Yes, this the type of change people wanted. Not, let’s cut out the little nations and “urban” sports.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Cut the "urban" sports, keep alpine and cross-country the same. 

So, so wrong. Honestly, Snowboarding should make a move to create it’s own federation at this point. The cuts weren’t horrible, but the FIS has made it clear who they value more. Why the fuck, weren’t Nordic Combined quotas cut? 

7 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Cut the "urban" sports, keep alpine and cross-country the same. 

Half of the athletes sent by larger nations never end up keeping anyway. The IOCs idea was to stop that (and rightfully so).

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

So, so wrong. Honestly, Snowboarding should make a move to create it’s own federation at this point. The cuts weren’t horrible, but the FIS has made it clear who they value more. Why the fuck, weren’t Nordic Combined quotas cut? 

They need to keep it high so the cuts won’t be as painful when they add women’s events in 2026.

Short Track Speed Skating Qualification System.pdf

(minus 8 quotas)

Speed Skating Qualification System.pdf

(minus 14 quotas, and reduction of field sizes for all events (minus the longer ones)

We all know which discipline the ISU prefers, smh

Random good news: the per-country maximum in freestyle skiing went up from 30 to 32 (but only for countries taking part in the mixed team aerials event). Should really be a max of 40 per country (the 30 per country limit caused many events to have unused quotas), but an improvement is an improvement.