To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Well, at least you don't have to play €100 to watch GAA games.

In Irish.

Or with Pat Spillane.

Or on Setanta.

Or with deferred coverage.

Then to watch your team get battered by Dublin in the final, which I think is on the 25th?

At least London did well in the hurling.

Ahh, so you're a Kerryman? The final is on Sunday week, so the 24th I think.

Pat Spillane, Joe Brolly and Colm O'Rourke.... God help us for yet another year of their input :wall:

I'm not from Kerry, but I have family there. It's an excuse to support a good team in GAA, whereas London, not so much. Going to Ruislip is fun. So is laughing at Michael Healy-Rae. What county are you from? Donegal?

As now we come across the world
In brotherhood unfold

4 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

I'm not from Kerry, but I have family there. It's an excuse to support a good team in GAA, whereas London, not so much. Going to Ruislip is fun. So is laughing at Michael Healy-Rae. What county are you from? Donegal?

Ahh, good to hear. Kerry is a great spot to visit. Yeah I'm from Donegal :yes.

I never thought I'd live to see the day when the Healy-Rae name made it onto a sports forum....seems like they are taking over :d

Well, you are lucky to have been beaten by Dublin at a stage no-one cares about.

As for Michael and Danny, what awful culchies bolloxes they are.

Back on the Olympics, what are RTÉ like for that? Awful I expect. At least you don't get TV3 or (the horror) TG4. Still better than Sky Sports 3's GAA coverage, I guess.

(Also, did any Anti-Britishness creep in during 2012?)

Edited by Mkbw50

In brotherhood unfold

Slovak National TV usually broadcast the OG in their 2 channels STV 1 and STV 2  both 24 hours per day, ofc free, thats fine, the 2 bad things are just that excluding canoeing slalom, Athletics, tennis and maybe 2-3 other sports, the commentators are extremely week and sometimes really annoying, without any basical knowledge about the sport...if you didn´t seen slovak tv during the games, you will never believe how a sport tv watching can be hard when a commentator just destroy you the whole fun :lol:

and second thing ofc it´ll be for sure again no team sports (only few minutes highlights of the medal matches and the finals during last day) and no combat sports (for example during London games, Taekwondo was the only sport our TV didn´t broadcasted at all, I remember for only 1, 2 minutes highlights, the same with boxing)..

but yeah we will have the canoe slalom full live since the first heat to the studio 2 hours after the final :lol:

9 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Well, you are lucky to have been beaten by Dublin at a stage no-one cares about.

As for Michael and Danny, what awful culchies bolloxes they are.

Back on the Olympics, what are RTÉ like for that? Awful I expect. At least you don't get TV3 or (the horror) TG4. Still better than Sky Sports 3's GAA coverage, I guess.

(Also, did any Anti-Britishness creep in during 2012?)

RTÉ are a joke as with everything they are involved with..... Jimmy Magee will be commentating on coverage for what must be his 100th Olympics and he's probably the least bad thing about the coverage :d. Do I really have to go into details :lol:

TV3 are god awful.... and yet they will probably be a step up from RTÉ :d. Sky Sports' GAA coverage is just B-A-D.

Anti-British bias? Not really, I think that's usually reserved for the English team at the World Cup.

So Canoe-slalom is popular in Slovakia, or they get good results? I saw half their medals were in Canoeing during London, and in Beijing all their golds were in Canoeing.

It will be better on Eurosport, but you will have to pay, and I don't know if it will be in Slovak or not. You will just have to wait for PyeongChang.

The British commentary isn't that good either. Once during rowing, a Slovenian came up.

For the whole race, the commentator called him Slovakian, and was like "And here's Smith (placeholder name), the Slovakian"

"Doe leads from Michael, and then Smith the Slovakian is third. He's very popular in Bratislava, is Smith"

Sometimes, they have a generic commentator like Rob Walker or Sue Barker for lesser-known sports who has a co-commentator who is an expert, (who came 6th in LA 1984 in a Commie sport) but sometimes they just have a generic commentator who only knows basic stuff. The idea is that the commentator explains it to newbies, and the co-commentator is for seasoned watchers, but it doesn't work out that way.

Honestly, I wish I could see RTÉ's coverage, just to laugh at it. I bet they would have put shitty graphics everywhere (in the studio, graphiccs are controlled by OBS in races and if you were a fan of e.g. Wrestling, tough luck.) I bet at least, there wasn't a British flag to be seen like they piled everywhere on BBC with Brazil for the World Cup: Brazilian music, flag, beaches, women: everything. Even ITV were at it with the Brazil song. It would be funny to see someone who looks like he remembers the Easter Rising into saying stuff like "and as we the riders pass Buckingham Palace, one of the beautiful buildings which shows the amazing history of this wonderful nation, which was what the BBC were like anyway."

In brotherhood unfold

14 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

So Canoe-slalom is popular in Slovakia, or they get good results? I saw half their medals were in Canoeing during London, and in Beijing all their golds were in Canoeing.

It will be better on Eurosport, but you will have to pay, and I don't know if it will be in Slovak or not. You will just have to wait for PyeongChang.

The British commentary isn't that good either. Once during rowing, a Slovenian came up.

For the whole race, the commentator called him Slovakian, and was like "And here's Smith (placeholder name), the Slovakian"

"Doe leads from Michael, and then Smith the Slovakian is third. He's very popular in Bratislava, is Smith"

Sometimes, they have a generic commentator like Rob Walker or Sue Barker for lesser-known sports who has a co-commentator who is an expert, (who came 6th in LA 1984 in a Commie sport) but sometimes they just have a generic commentator who only knows basic stuff. The idea is that the commentator explains it to newbies, and the co-commentator is for seasoned watchers, but it doesn't work out that way.

Honestly, I wish I could see RTÉ's coverage, just to laugh at it. I bet they would have put shitty graphics everywhere (in the studio, graphiccs are controlled by OBS in races and if you were a fan of e.g. Wrestling, tough luck.) I bet at least, there wasn't a British flag to be seen like they piled everywhere on BBC with Brazil for the World Cup: Brazilian music, flag, beaches, women: everything. Even ITV were at it with the Brazil song. It would be funny to see someone who looks like he remembers the Easter Rising into saying stuff like "and as we the riders pass Buckingham Palace, one of the beautiful buildings which shows the amazing history of this wonderful nation, which was what the BBC were like anyway."

yeah that happen often, seriously I just can´t understand how can still in 2016 someone confuse Slovenia and Slovakia..

yes canoe slalom is always the top watched event during the games here.  well, to explain a bit, SVK won 7 gold medals since our independance in 1993 and all these 7 gold medals are from canoeing slalom. in fact apart canoe slalom and Kuzmina in biathlon, we have not any other olympic champion.

yes we have Eurosport in SVK, the czech version with czech commentators, they have license for SVK, and I pay something around 7 euro per month for the whole pack (something around 50 czech and slovak TV channels) so it shouldn´t be a problem. I already watched previous olympics also on eurosport, because as I said our commentators in some sports are terrible