website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Broadcasters

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Well, just trying to help.

Here's a question. If you were broadcaster, and had exclusive rights, what and how would you broadcast it if you were in charge?

For me, I would just emulate the BBC's 2012 coverage.

All events can be watched live and on demand on telly or on internet, with the BBC Olympic Channels and online there are graphics showing stats and on-demand you can press a button for moments, e.g. a goal in football. Hopefully it will be as good.

Also, how will SBS transmit to North Korea? Presumably they will sell it to KCNA?

BBC's coverage of London 2012 was simply phenomenal.... I will never forget being able to flick through all those Olympic channels and being able to watch whatever I wanted. I wonder will they be able to repeat this level of coverage for Rio 2016.

Edit: I see my question has been answered above

Edited by OlympicIRL

3 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/apr/07/bbc-staff-rio-2016-olympics-2012-games-nbc

I found the answer, and it's good news

So although there is no BBC Olympics channel, everything is online.

That is good news. Very good news.

From PyeongChang onwards however, everything will still be there, but on Discovery/Eurosport. Which is good enough, I guess.

Also, nice profile pic. xD

Ok, so there will be more computer watching I guess! 

I don't like this Discovery/Eurosport idea, I strongly believe you should never have to pay to be inspired by the Olympics, hopefully the BBC will keep extensive coverage and Discovery is an easily accessible and high quality coverage of other events. Hopefully the BBC will expand its online coverage from 2018 onwards so that it can challenge this Eurosport coverage and encourage the IOC to choose quality over money the next time they sell tv rights. But maybe the Olympic TV channel will be up and running then and it will be all different

8 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

BBC's coverage of London 2012 was simply phenomenal.... I will never forget being able to flick through all those Olympic channels and being able to watch whatever I wanted. I wonder will they be able to repeat this level of coverage for Rio 2016.

They will, but on Internet only.

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

6 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

They will, but on Internet only.

This is still very good. Not as good as the wonderful scenario of controlling everything with a remote control across endless Olympic channels as in London 2012 and without fear of internet crashing, but the BBC was the host broadcaster that time so it was to be expected coverage would be scaled back a bit. Everything is still online so that's pretty good anyway. Plus I have RTÉ which will add more coverage for Irish users in addition to BBC. I can't complain. Hopefully will be the same for 2020 and beyond :fingers:

Edited by OlympicIRL

Everyone loves Radio Telifís Eireann. But for Irish users it will be Eurosport-only cum PyeongChang, but I know Sky Ireland give BBC One NI and BBC Two NI for free, how they run that past the Dáil and co. nobody knows. If you are near the border with the UK (the land border, not the maritime border, obviously) then your computer might think it is in NI if you're lucky. Which county are you in? You could always get a VPN as well...

In brotherhood unfold

The time in Tokyo is a bit concerning actually.

Rio 2016's first event (Women's Football. BRA VS ?) starts at 13:00 local.

If Tokyo started at 13:00 local, that would be 5:00 Britannia. (It is +9 all year round, we are 0 in Winter but +1 Summer)

5am is a bit crap.

In brotherhood unfold

7 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Everyone loves Radio Telifís Eireann. But for Irish users it will be Eurosport-only cum PyeongChang, but I know Sky Ireland give BBC One NI and BBC Two NI for free, how they run that past the Dáil and co. nobody knows. If you are near the border with the UK (the land border, not the maritime border, obviously) then your computer might think it is in NI if you're lucky. Which county are you in? You could always get a VPN as well...

I live in the Republic, just a few miles from the Northern Ireland border. Where I live we are able to receive BBC Northern Ireland on Freeview and also I have Sky Ireland package too so I'm all good in that regard.

Thank God because having to rely on RTÉ would drive me mad :d

Well, at least you don't have to play €100 to watch GAA games.

In Irish.

Or with Pat Spillane.

Or on Setanta.

Or with deferred coverage.

Then to watch your team get battered by Dublin in the final, which I think is on the 25th?

At least London did well in the hurling.

In brotherhood unfold

11 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I live in the Republic, just a few miles from the Northern Ireland border. Where I live we are able to receive BBC Northern Ireland on Freeview and also I have Sky Ireland package too so I'm all good in that regard.

Thank God because having to rely on RTÉ would drive me mad :d

International TV Thief :lol: