website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Broadcasters

I'm seeing all kinds of softball and football matches and rowing prelims and such scheduled for next week in the Eurosport Player :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm seeing all kinds of softball and football matches and rowing prelims and such scheduled for next week in the Eurosport Player :cheer: 

Yep, they’ve got everything!*

*Not the archery ranking, which is about as exciting as competitive meditation.

5 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Yep, they’ve got everything!*

*Not the archery ranking, which is about as exciting as competitive meditation.

The Belgian version of this program actually had competitive meditation (sort of) this season and it was rather exciting!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, phelps said:

yes, it's "adaptive"...

by the way, it doesn't require a super-wide bandwidth to work at max rate, the problem is that it's not working the same way on all devices...

basically, if you want to be sure at 100% to reach always the top picture quality, you must have an apple tv 4K (last and forelast generation)...

in particular, it doesn't work well at all on the android tv/android box devices and on the amazon firesticks (even if on this last device the reports are controversial, some people can see the streams at 1080p/50fps, but many others can only go up to 720p/25fps -which is my case, despite I have a 1 GB FTTH broadband connection and my devices are all connected with cable, no wifi)...

moreover, some streams are actually uploaded at 25fps frame rate by discovery*, so, it's not up to your device/internet connection...it's their fault...

*here in Italy, they only kept 25fps streams for all the euroleague/eurocup games without Italian teams on the floor, for instance...

or for some more sports with minor interest in the average spectators (very exigent people like me don't count at all in Italy, as we're such a minority)...

our main tv/tech forum is full of people complaining against discovery, but it looks that they don't care at all...:facepalm: :wall:

Yeah, that's a terrible thing. You should be able to choose quality, I don't trust their adaptive streaming. I have good connection but I already had issues trying it in web browser for example. 

8 hours ago, phelps said:

basically, if you want to be sure at 100% to reach always the top picture quality, you must have an apple tv 4K (last and forelast generation)...

So apple TV has an eurosport player app? Didnt know.

I have an LG TV (WebOS) and it definitely doesn't (WebOS platform is closed, so content provider has to develop application directly for this purpose). And streaming from computer to TV is hit and miss (works from ipad to tv with AirPlay but doesn't always from Windows PC to tv)

Not for this Olympics, but I will definitely look this up.

So in the end, I will watch the Olympics from the official streaming service.. It's only USD 2 but I'm still upset since at Rio they provided it for free :p 

Also I kinda have to tinker a bit with the TV Box from my Internet provider in order to install the official streaming app, since my TV is still Dumb TV (i.e. not Smart TV) and my TV Box doesn't allow any extra app to be installed

We have been wondering about the future of ES Player and how it relates to Discovery Plus. Well, seemingly here in Britain ESPlayer is not accepting any more new subs and all new sign-ups are being directed to Discovery Plus instead.  Also, we were wondering if D+ was a new application designed to get rid of the legacy issues that limit the old ES Player as @phelpssays.  Apparently it is indeed a new app & is indeed technically superior.  Anyway, I've signed up for the three day free trial and will have a look to see if it really is better.  

One thing I notice already is that the old legacy content that can be browsed and shown on ES player has not been transferred - there is still a content archive but it obviously only began a few weeks ago. So for cycling you can go back and watch the TdF & the Giro Donne, but not anything before that.